Specialty Restaurants for kids

DipBrat

Looking at booking first NCL cruise on Breakaway. Will be first “mass” market cruise in a long time so a bit nervous about food issues. We plan to mostly eat in specialty restaurants which is why we have chosen NCL and Breakaway.

We will be travelling with 1 year old and 5 year old and wondering about Specialty Restaurants for kids.

I understand that a 5 year old would be charged half the normal cost, but is that for a full meal or is it still a child portioned of adapted menu? i.e. if we go to Ocean Blue will she pay $25 and be able to order what an adult would, or will there be an “Ocean Blue Kids Menu” with fish and chips or something substituted for kids. (I realize there is a free “kids menu” available but I assume this is just chicken fingers and pizza etc).

I know that kids under 3 are free but can they order/eat the specialty items? ie can I order her own piece of Salmon or at the least give her some of mine or will that be breaking the rules or otherwise frowned upon?

We just came off BA and ate in Ocean Blue with an 11 and 15 year old and they were both given kids menus. They ended up ordering the fried calamari off the Ocean Blue appetizer menu but they didn't like any of the entrees so they got the kids items. End result was that we only had to pay $10 each for the a la carte calamari.

We just came off BA and ate in Ocean Blue with an 11 and 15 year old and they were both given kids menus. They ended up ordering the fried calamari off the Ocean Blue appetizer menu but they didn't like any of the entrees so they got the kids items. End result was that we only had to pay $10 each for the a la carte calamari.

Thanks, that is helpful. Were there 2 kids menus? One the free shipwide kids menu and one just for Ocean Blue?

Re: one year old they should be able to eat for free even the specialty stuff. That's what I read on another thread but the parents did have to convince the staff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had nearly the same spot on our last cruise, with a 3-year-old and a 10-year-old.

Anyway, your 5-year-old can always order from the Main Dining Room menu (while in the specialty with you) for FREE.

If your 5-year-old wants the specialty menu, they will be half price. Portions will usually be adult-sized. Most of the specialties don't even have kid's menus, and the ones that do (I think Le Bistro) don't force you to order from it. Just tell them that your kid doesn't like the kid's menu stuff (if that's true) and they can order from the regular menu for half price anyway.

The 1-year-old should be able to order anything for free, including specialty stuff. However, most 1-year-olds probably won't like the specialty foods very much. My 3-year-old does, but he's always been unusual in his "mature" food tastes.

If they try to charge you for your 1-year-old, tell them that all of the NCL literature says, "Kids under 4 always eat free", and stick to your guns. They were fairly confused by this on the Jewel, but quickly backed down and acknowledged I was correct.

Kids (12 and under) can order from the adult specialty menu for half price. We've never been offered a kids specialty menu, although I hear they exist. As someone else noted, kids can order from the fleetwide kids menu for free, even at a specialty restaurant. Enjoy!

Hi guys,

We're about to go on our first ever cruise on the Epic on 3rd August. Did any of you book the speciality dining in advance with kids ? Just wondering how you do it as they don't seem to specify the age when booking online, so you would end up either booking and paying for 4 adults (we have two kids, 12 & 9) or else we just book a table for 2 and may end up with a seating problem when we arrive at the dining room. Any ideas ???

Hi guys,

We're about to go on our first ever cruise on the Epic on 3rd August. Did any of you book the speciality dining in advance with kids ? Just wondering how you do it as they don't seem to specify the age when booking online, so you would end up either booking and paying for 4 adults (we have two kids, 12 & 9) or else we just book a table for 2 and may end up with a seating problem when we arrive at the dining room. Any ideas ???

This is an annoying "feature" of the website.

Unless you buy the UDP (something I would suggest), you can only make reservations at the adult rate.

So if you have two adults and two kids, you will be forced to pay for 4 adults in advance (if you want to make reservations before boarding), and then they will credit you the difference each time you eat.

Stupid system.

You might want to just book 3, as a table for 3 is identical to a table for 4, and you will save some "up front" money. This way you will actually be paying the right amount, because kids eat for half price.

If anyone has the UDP in your party, they can book a reservation for however many they need (and not get charged), even if not everyone in the party has the UDP (that would be adjusted on board if it were the case).

You might want to just book 3, as a table for 3 is identical to a table for 4, and you will save some "up front" money. This way you will actually be paying the right amount, because kids eat for half price.

Just don't do that for Teppanyaki. It wouldn't work there.

Edited by LrgPizza