Afraid to Eat?

Love2cruisegirl

:confused: I've read multiple threads were independent tours drop you off/take you to local digs to eat lunch, snack, etc. My husband & I in the past have only done excursions through the ship-therefore, were never really worried about the food (or the possibility of getting sick from eating/drinking). Should I be worried? We're going to book w/Phil LaFayette tours-have heard nothing but good feedback about tubing, etc. What has been everyone's experience?

Eating the local dishes is part of what travel is all about! Experience it.... Just use common sense. Make sure that food, especially chicken and pork is cooked thru, not pink. Dont drink wwater from a glass, only bottled water. Dont eat the ice from sodas in a cup (made from local water, not bottled) I would avoid salads and fruit that comes pre-peeled. You can't be sure if it was cleaned in contaminated local water (water that your body is not used to the critters in it) Take a cloth along to wipe off the top of soda cans and bottles which may have been submerged in cold ice water before putting it to your mouth. If you buy fruit or veggies wash it off with bottled water and peel it yourself before eating.

All water, even from american cities has little things in it. Our bodies get used to drinking water at home however water from different areas of the world can cause stomach upset and the runs. It can also carry a few illnesses you really dont want.

I've eaten in a LOT of jerk stands in Jamaica and by using common sense have not gotten ill so far.... knock on wood.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Thanks for the replies...I have NOT heard of anyone getting sick while on the tours. I just knew there was a good possibility of my husband & I trying to eat at a local restaurant (authentic food!) and didn't know what others had experienced.

CaribbeanBlue-do you have a favorite jerk stand?

Anyone-Favorite restaurant to eat at while in Ocho Rios?

We just got back from the Conquest last Sunday. On our day in Montego Bay, our guide took us to Scotchie's. I don't know what their reputation is but let me tell you it was very good. Six people ate (including Red Stripes and sodas) a lot of jerk, both chicken and pork, for less than $40. We also had breadfruit (not anything like I expected) and some kind of fried sweet bread type thing that I cannot remember the name of. Awesome food and absolutely no problem, other than the mouth being on fire from the hot sauce.

Trish

Archived