Deals After You Book?

violettewaits

Sorry if this question is a silly one, since I am a cruising newbie.

I booked two Mini-Suite cabins on the NCL Gem, a few months ago for a March 2015 Caribbean sailing out of NY. This is only the second time I had ever booked a cruise and the last time I did, was a last-minute sort of thing where I felt I got a good deal, so I didn't have to deal with this.

Now (and I'm sure this will happen more and more the closer to the sailing we get), I am getting all these emails with deals from other booking agents, such as more onboard credit, or pre-paid gratuities.

I was just wondering how it all works in terms of if I have any bargaining power with NCL to get some discounts. How about if the price of the cruise, as a whole, drops in price?

Currently, I have only paid a deposit on each room and my final payments aren't due until December.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Sorry if this question is a silly one, since I am a cruising newbie.

I booked two Mini-Suite cabins on the NCL Gem, a few months ago for a March 2015 Caribbean sailing out of NY. This is only the second time I had ever booked a cruise and the last time I did, was a last-minute sort of thing where I felt I got a good deal, so I didn't have to deal with this.

Now (and I'm sure this will happen more and more the closer to the sailing we get), I am getting all these emails with deals from other booking agents, such as more onboard credit, or pre-paid gratuities.

I was just wondering how it all works in terms of if I have any bargaining power with NCL to get some discounts. How about if the price of the cruise, as a whole, drops in price?

Currently, I have only paid a deposit on each room and my final payments aren't due until December.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Until final payment time your deposit is fully refundable, so you could cancel until then without penalty. Assuming you booked directly with Norwegian you can call and take advantage of any price drops or promotions until that time by just calling in and they will cancel/rebook the cruise with the current rates/promotions. Keep in mind you may lose out any current perks you have with your reservation to take advantage of the new pricing/incentives.

After final payment time if you booked directly you can take advantage should a higher cabin category come down in price and pay the difference and move up quite easily by calling in. Some people have reported being given a percentage of On board credit (maybe 25%) of the difference in pricing if your cabin has gone down. Example, if it goes down $100 from what you paid they may offer $25 in on board credit....but they really aren't required to do anything after final payment time according to the guest contract you agree to when booking.

Norwegian doesn't price match with any travel agents, so that doesn't give you much bargaining should you see offers through them.

If you are dealing with a travel agent, they may possibly charge a fee each time you change a reservation from my own experience....but they can sometimes offer more incentives for booking with them. They can reserve blocks of cabins at group pricing and pass along the savings that way.

Thank you! That is actually quite helpful! I'm going to give them a call now!

Until final payment time your deposit is fully refundable, so you could cancel until then without penalty. Assuming you booked directly with Norwegian you can call and take advantage of any price drops or promotions until that time by just calling in and they will cancel/rebook the cruise with the current rates/promotions. Keep in mind you may lose out any current perks you have with your reservation to take advantage of the new pricing/incentives.

After final payment time if you booked directly you can take advantage should a higher cabin category come down in price and pay the difference and move up quite easily by calling in. Some people have reported being given a percentage of On board credit (maybe 25%) of the difference in pricing if your cabin has gone down. Example, if it goes down $100 from what you paid they may offer $25 in on board credit....but they really aren't required to do anything after final payment time according to the guest contract you agree to when booking.

Norwegian doesn't price match with any travel agents, so that doesn't give you much bargaining should you see offers through them.

If you are dealing with a travel agent, they may possibly charge a fee each time you change a reservation from my own experience....but they can sometimes offer more incentives for booking with them. They can reserve blocks of cabins at group pricing and pass along the savings that way.