Grandeur of the Seas questions!

wk1226

Thinking about booking Grandeur with my family. There are 9 of us, 5 being 15-22. I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the activities or things to do for the teens/young adults. Is this a good ship for the age groups? Any responses would be helpful! Also, this would be the December 27th 10 day sailing, sailing out of Baltimore which starts with 3 sea days. Does anyone know when it'll start to get warm? Again, thanks for future responses!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I did the 10 night last Christmas, and one in July on the Grandeur. The itinerary was different - we went to St. Thomas, St. Maartin, San Juan, and Haiti. Things should start to warm a little by Day 2, by Day 3 - the weather should be nice, but you never know about the weather. We were out by the pool on Day 3 last year.

I can't comment on things to do for the 5 to 22 year age group. My wife and I are in our mid 40's and don't have any children. I can say the ship was very nice. We were on one of the first cruises last July following the fire they had on the ship. It sparkled it was so clean and new. The crew was also excellent on both of our sailings.

I assume you live near Baltimore as reason why you're considering the Grandeur? We live in Delaware and it was only a little over an hour to the port. Have you considered the Quantum on the same date? The itinerary looks a little "lack luster," but it's a brand new ship, and it's in Bayonne, NJ - only a few hours from Baltimore. Definitely much more to do on the Quantum for that age group.

I also noticed that the Quantum is not much more expensive than the Grandeur, although it is only a 7 night vs. 10 night.

In my opinion, 10 nights was a little too long on the Grandeur because of it's size and amenities. I believe this class of ships is much better suited for shorter duration cruises such as 3 to 5 nights. It would make a great replacement for the Majesty if they decide to retire her.

We did enjoy our 10 night Christmas/New Year's sailing, and I'm sure you will too if you decide on the Grandeur.

- Doc

Thanks for your response! We are in fact looking at the Anthem for the 2015 New Years cruise. It is more pricey for the 9 of us. We know there will be more to do on Anthem, but the price for 10days is pretty good. Especially with the sale going on

My wife and I did the 10 night last Christmas, and one in July on the Grandeur. The itinerary was different - we went to St. Thomas, St. Maartin, San Juan, and Haiti. Things should start to warm a little by Day 2, by Day 3 - the weather should be nice, but you never know about the weather. We were out by the pool on Day 3 last year.

I can't comment on things to do for the 5 to 22 year age group. My wife and I are in our mid 40's and don't have any children. I can say the ship was very nice. We were on one of the first cruises last July following the fire they had on the ship. It sparkled it was so clean and new. The crew was also excellent on both of our sailings.

I assume you live near Baltimore as reason why you're considering the Grandeur? We live in Delaware and it was only a little over an hour to the port. Have you considered the Quantum on the same date? The itinerary looks a little "lack luster," but it's a brand new ship, and it's in Bayonne, NJ - only a few hours from Baltimore. Definitely much more to do on the Quantum for that age group.

I also noticed that the Quantum is not much more expensive than the Grandeur, although it is only a 7 night vs. 10 night.

In my opinion, 10 nights was a little too long on the Grandeur because of it's size and amenities. I believe this class of ships is much better suited for shorter duration cruises such as 3 to 5 nights. It would make a great replacement for the Majesty if they decide to retire her.

We did enjoy our 10 night Christmas/New Year's sailing, and I'm sure you will too if you decide on the Grandeur.

- Doc

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by wk1226

Forgot about the sale. Makes much more sense to me now about the pricing. They usually have a daily compass for kids and teens just like the normal Cruise Compass. Maybe someone may have a copy from a recent cruise, or would be willing to gather them from an upcoming cruise and post on Cruise Critic for you.

Christmas/New Year's is always a great time to cruise - even more so if you can bring your whole family...