forts

SuperGrace2002

Does any one know if the forts are easy to get to - and if so what is the best way to get there?

I am planning my 2nd cruise and so far all I am seeing for this port is Beach & shopping - and though I love the beach, I live in Florida, I would really like to see other things.

Because this appeared on the St Kitts page, I am assuming you are asking about Brimstone Hill Fortress in St Kitts. The best way to get there is a tour or taxi from the port area. There is no public transportation that goes up to the Fortress. The entrance fee is $10.00.

If you are a little adventurous, we rented a car a few years ago and were able to visit most of the island on our own. This included the Fort. Keep in mind that they drive on the left side of the road, but for the most part this was a non-issue since most the little roads are very narrow, so we just "shared"

The rental car agency was about 2 blocks from where we came out of the port.

We did an island tour of St. Kitts when we were there a few months ago. A review of the excursion can be found here

We really enjoyed our experiences on the island.

The trip included a tour of Romney Manor and Brimstone Hill Fortress-which is the fort I believe you are referencing.

The tour was about 45 pp, for four hours.

We were at the fort for about an hour and Romney Manor for 30 minutes. You can do a Brimstone Hill Fortress only tour, I believe, that maybe better suited for what you are looking to do while on the island.

The tour we did also included a drive through of the downtown highlights, including the Berkeley Memorial Clock and some of the historic churches.

Not sure if going through the hassle of renting a car and driving to the fort is worth it if you can get an excursion that includes that along with other notably stops.

Happy planning!

We did an island tour of St. Kitts when we were there a few months ago. A review of the excursion can be found here

We really enjoyed our experiences on the island.

The trip included a tour of Romney Manor and Brimstone Hill Fortress-which is the fort I believe you are referencing.

The tour was about 45 pp, for four hours.

We were at the fort for about an hour and Romney Manor for 30 minutes. You can do a Brimstone Hill Fortress only tour, I believe, that maybe better suited for what you are looking to do while on the island.

The tour we did also included a drive through of the downtown highlights, including the Berkeley Memorial Clock and some of the historic churches.

Not sure if going through the hassle of renting a car and driving to the fort is worth it if you can get an excursion that includes that along with other notably stops.

Happy planning!

Thank you. yeah I think I am leaning towards a tour with Carnival which is about $60 per person and goes to the Fortress. A little more pricey but a little more piece of mind for me since this will only be my second cruise and the first one, only excursion I did was the sting rays at HMC.

We have booked excursions both privately and through the cruise line.

Sometimes the price difference is so small that booking with the cruise line gives you piece of mind and makes it so much easier.

Plus, you can cancel up-to 48 hours before the tour and get a full refund.

The island tour we did was through Royal Caribbean and I thought it was a great value.

Enjoy St. Kitts!