Dollars In Russia

Skovgaard

It depends where you shop - bearing in mind if you don't have your own Russian Visas then you are dependent on where the tour guide takes you.

In the latter case, they seem to find time to stop at a souvenir shop or two with all the usual Russian merch - I saw prices predominantly marked up in Euros but I think I saw signs in a couple of shops saying they'd accept USD (this was in July).

Even though they were pricing in Euros, the cashiers in at least two shops weren't very prepared and had very little Euro change in their tills.

The street traders/markets around the main tourist attractions seemed to be only accepting rubles.

A lot of places will take dollars or euros but give change in rubles. Other places it's strictly rubles only.

e.g. Church of the Spilled Blood admission is in Roubles only but you can pay by credit card whereas the sales kiosk inside only took roubles in cash. The bar we went to for coffee was roubles cash only. We used the ATM in a bank to draw out roubles to go to the Russian Museum but we needn't have bothered as they accepted credit cards.

On Nevsky Prospekt there are loads of exchange bureaus displaying their ruble rate against the dollar and euro in neon signs outside their premises.