Minimizing Seasickness for Alaska Cruise

flip side of fifty

• 2 weeks later...

We are back from our Alaska cruise and I will agree with everyone who says the seas are rougher out of Seattle. I took dramamine on day one a couple hours before we set sail and I did just fine. The next morning I wasn't going to take anything but sitting at the table at breakfast about did me in. The seas we so rough they were putting bags out all over. I took dramamine and was fine after an hour or so. I didn't take anymore 24hr dramimine after that until we got back to Seattle before our flight home. I did have some 4 hr chewable dramamine tablets and I took one before our flightseeing tour and the train ride since I didn't know how I would react but never needed it again on the ship. We had a mid-ship mini-suite on deck 11. THat is the highest I have ever stayed and I will say that the motion is less the lower you are on the ship. Mid-ship seemed to be fine. The balcony helped a lot! Being able to get fresh air anytime you need it without having to navigate the narrow hallways to get to it was a major plus. I don't think we will cruise without a balancy in the future.

We just cruised to Alaska RT from Seattle on Aug 29th on the Solstice. I have a tendency to get seasick but was lucky, I felt great the whole cruise. Years ago I was seasick on a Caribbean cruise and felt too nauseous to eat dinner. Our waiter brought me Dramamine and a Classic Coke and by dessert I could eat. It has to be Classic Coke not diet.

I'm prone to sea sickness... just did NB from Vancouver. not one iota of a problem until the last half of the last day when we left the protected waters and got into the Gulf of Alaska. I was quite dizzy and couldn't attend dinner or shows. Took 2 Bonine but didn't help much, nor did looking at the horizon. Was dizzy for about 4 days after the cruise.