Balconies: Is there such a thing as a BAD balcony room?

NOLAbebe

Thank you all for chiming in! I found out that letting Carnival pick your room was for a new booking, so I went ahead and chose our own Cove balcony. We are supposedly in a good area, from what I can tell by the cabin reviews and the deck plans. It is slightly forward, and I can imagine the only thing we'll be bummed about is if there is hurricane winds and waves, resulting in more pitch (our interior was mid-ship) and a wet, unusable balcony. I am EXCITED!!! I feel very, very good about this switch. Thank you for the tips about deck 6! I have heard and read so many bad things that I would be scared to ever book any type of room on that floor!

Thanks for the clarification about the gty. policies, also! Will keep the upgrade options in mind for our next cruise.

Lastly, if a dolphin leaps onto my balcony, I may never cruise again. Just had to make that clear. 33 days! Woohoo!!!

If a dolphin does leap onto your balcony, send it to me! I will keep it as a pet in my bathtub! :) Glad you have made your cabin choice, and glad you are happy with it. All's well that ends well!

We had a "bad" balcony on Carnival Fascination some years back (2009), Verandah deck. It was of our own choosing, one of only two balcony cabins left on the ship (we tend to book last minute.) It was so funky that it actually was kind of fun! The balcony was so narrow that we could not sit on the deck chairs and face the sea -- there was nowhere to put our legs! We had to turn our chairs sideways, facing each other. And then our knees knocked into each other's because the balcony was so short!

We had a view between a large lifeboat and a motorized dinghy, and I ended up mostly standing with one foot on the deck rail and one foot on the arm of a deck chair to see out better! My husband, seated, enjoyed this immensely, as the wind would blow my skirt up! :eek:

We had a really fun cruise with our tiny obstructed-view balcony!

One of my favorite views from our balcony:

ry%3D400

One of my husband's favorite views from our balcony! ;)

ry%3D400

We are sailing on the Dream. This is our first cruise, and Hubs could care less about cruising. We are traveling with multiple friends and it's all about the social aspect to him. He likes blackout curtains in the bedroom and says he is perfectly fine with the tiny, dark interior room. I, on the other hand, crave sunshine. I feel lethargic if there isn't enough of it. We are also tall- Hubby is 6'6". I am trying not to be unreasonable, but I am mildly worried about feeling claustrophobic and/or depressed every time we are in the cabin. For less than $100, it seems we can get a Carnival-chosen balcony. If we wet to choose our own balcony, it is almost $550.

I feel like a deer in headlights here! I saw that some Cove balconies were somewhat more affordable, around $400 to choose out own. I guess we won't know until it's too late, since we have nothing to compare this to. I tell you this: if we end up NOT upgrading, I will go Wayne Brady on someone to get a spa pass, which is where you will find me de-stressing from our hole of a room all week long. ;)

Definitely get the balcony ! Our first cruise was an interior and even though I had a good time, I will never book an interior again if I can help it. It did make me feel a little claustrophobic without windows. We are letting Carnival pick an ocean view for us for our upcoming cruise in October and hoping for a balcony upgrade ! 👙

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey, new question... For your balcony room, did you ever use a bungee cord on the door? Anyone have a picture of the type they used? Just want to be prepared!

You are not supposed to leave your balcony door open. Causes problems with your A/C as well as the A/C of your neighbors. Leave the bungee cord at home.