Cookies aren't missing in the Lido

starbug

The world is changing! It has a habit of doing this.

People like me could not afford to go on a cruise twenty years ago. Now I can. That's fantastic. I'm a realist and I accept that means that standards are not the same as they were twenty years ago. In fact, I have seen a drop in standards in the seven years since I started cruising. I've also learnt how to get my cruises at a lower price than I did seven years ago! I'll accept that trade-off.

Yes, Cunard makes mistakes. Yes, it can be helpful to tell us about them when appropriate, as warnings so that others don't encounter the same problems. It helps, however, if the tone comes across with a bit of humour. Hearing the same complaints on thread after thread gets a bit 'same old, same old' after a time, no matter how justified they are.

Yes, Cunard drops its prices whenever it wishes, sometimes at the last minute but sometimes earlier. There's nothing we can do about this. We can attempt to play the game and anticipate when the prices will drop. It might work and it might not. Here in the UK it's generally last-minute. However, I've played that game and once I missed out on a cruise I really wanted and on two other cruises I was given one of the noisiest rooms on the ship. For me the bottom line is that if I really want a particular cruise and a good room, then I pay whatever it costs. (I learnt that lesson when I was buying a house and it was obvious that I wanted to buy it more than he wanted to sell it, so I could not negotiate on price.) Having made that choice, for my own peace of mind, I must not worry about what other people paid. I must accept the reality that Cunard will reduce it. (There must be a magic percentage for the marketing people, e.g. if they have not sold 25% six months before sailing, then announce a sale.)

It's regrettable if Cunard's sale impacts the ambience of the ship to the extent that rudeness ensues onboard. In such a case I would write directly to Cunard and detail all of the incidents and express the hope that they will learn from this not to downgrade the line or they will lose loyal customers. I might even send a note to the Captain while onboard, if he made announcements of the sort that Jimsgirl heard, thanking him for his care and expressing my own frustration with the rudeness onboard. I believe in taking action, even if it's only writing letters to the appropriate people.

Because of the July problem I have now arranged my own arrival, same hotel, a cab from JFK, cab to ship. $430 total inclusive cost.

$360 LESS than Cunard's asking price. I am sure you will disagree but IMO that is knowledge CC readers need to know, the information then is theirs to accept or reject.

This is very common with all organisations. Some years ago I went on the Orient Express to Venice, followed by 5 days in Venice. I arranged everything myself and paid around £1,800. I spoke to someone on the train who had allowed the Orient Express company to arrange everything for her and paid around £4,200. Yes, her hotel was better than my B&B, but not to that extent!

One can generally save quite a bit of money by doing it oneself. However, it all takes time! Each of us has to decide if we want to spend the time or the money.

As other posters have pointed out, things can also go wrong with arrangements when you do it yourself. There is no guarantee either way. If they go wrong with your own arrangements then you might have trouble getting the money back. If they go wrong with Cunard's arrangements, then you can be pretty sure that the money will be refunded.

For newcomers, though, it's good to know figures like this so they can decide if money or time is more important to them.

Edited by fantasy51