Byzantine Thessalonica or Pella/Vergina?

tullbja

Our Voyages to Antiquity cruise includes a choice of half-day tour of Byzantine Thessalonica or full day to Pella/Vergina. Any opinions on what would be most interesting?

I must be on a similar Voyages to Antiquity itinerary in October, with a stop at Thessaloniki also. We don't have to face the same decision, as on our cruise we are offered a choice of two included half-day tours of Thessaloniki and an optional half-day tour to Vergina (Pella isn't offered).

We plan to do our own sightseeing in Thessaloniki in the morning and will do the optional to Vergina in the pm.

As to your situation, it would be hard to say without knowing your interests. For me, if I had to choose it would be the Pella/Vergina option, as I am very interested in Alexander the Great.

Thessaloniki, while interesting from the Late Roman times (including remains of the imperial palace of Galerius, a co-ruler of the empire along with Diocletian) to the Byzantine period, just doesn't have quite the same draw -- to me.

I agree that it really depends on your interests. For me, the Thessaloniki tour would have an edge because the half day will also give you time to explore on your own. It's a city worth seeing--pretty and very distinct from other places I've been in Greece. But if you're interested in ancient Macedonia/Alexander the Great, you cannot beat Pella and Vergina.

I've attached a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what you might see on each tour. One is from the Rotunda in Thessaloniki, which has some of the most exquisite mosaic work I've ever seen. The other is from Pella, which has both an archaeological site and a nice museum. (I've been to Vergina but no photos are allowed there.)

You'll have a lovely time no matter which you choose!

021.jpg.deb88b434a2e21fdcf918b137e90b7da.jpg

086.jpg.99d1b9f97dd99f0cd99d67410256f4fd.jpg

I've attached a couple of pictures to give you an idea of what you might see on each tour. One is from the Rotunda in Thessaloniki, which has some of the most exquisite mosaic work I've ever seen. The other is from Pella, which has both an archaeological site and a nice museum. (I've been to Vergina but no photos are allowed there.)

flatstanley, are you not allowed to take photos anywhere at Vergina? Or just in the museum?

flatstanley, are you not allowed to take photos anywhere at Vergina? Or just in the museum?

They're very strict about not taking photos inside the museum--we were warned that cameras might be confiscated and saw that happen to others. I believe they're allowed in the ruins of Aigai (palace, theater, etc.), but that area was unfortunately closed for excavation when I went.

They're very strict about not taking photos inside the museum--we were warned that cameras might be confiscated and saw that happen to others. I believe they're allowed in the ruins of Aigai (palace, theater, etc.), but that area was unfortunately closed for excavation when I went.

Very glad you mentioned this, now I won't be disappointed when we get there.

I am hoping the palace and theater will be open when we get there in October, but it's possible they'll still be closed.