How best to get to Hobbiton?

Mezzaluna

Thank you for all the valuable information!!! :)

My parents and I will be sailing on Celebrity Solstice Dec 16~Dec 28, 2015. I am overwhelmed at work and did not do much trip planning yet, your posts really helps.

We'll arrive Auckland on Dec 12 evening. My parents are in their early 70's and both in fairly good physical condition, I like to check out Hobbiton and Waitomo cave but don't want to do it within one day to avoid long drive. Here is what I am thinking:

12.12 flight land AKL around 6:30pm, take taxi or airport bus to Auckland CBD. Stay two nights in Auckland.

12.13 city tour, maybe take ferry to Waiheke Island

12.14 rent a car from Auckland downtown Avis, drive south to Waitomo, Waitomo Cave tour, then head to Rotorua Gondola, stay over night in Rotorua

12.15 visit Agrodome farm for the sheep show and tour, and take the Hobbiton tour in the afternoon, return to Auckland this evening.

12.16 return car back to Avis and take a taxi to cruise terminal. (can I drop off luggage to cruise terminal early? Like maybe 10am? I am thinking to keep the car till afternoon to drive to Auckland North.)

Any suggest to add or modify the route? Any scenic route I should take or attractions on the way I should check out?

Thanks in advance!!

Kia ora,

A good choice but you may be pushed for time in Rotorua. Two nights in Auckland would give time for 'recovery' after the journey to Auckland. Rotorua would probably be the highlight and should include a visit to one of the geo-thermal areas and an experience of the unique Ma`ori dimension (suggest google Rotorua). The Hobbiton set is near Matamata, about an hours drive over the hill from Rotorua and on the way back to Auckland (aprox a further two hours driving).

Aquarians

I'm kind of zeroing in on Shore Trips and Tours. Does anyone have any information in favor or against this company? It's hard to get ratings, at least how I've been looking. I'm most concerned about reliability of vehicles and schedules so we don't miss our ship. It departs Tauranga at 7:45 PM.

For an independent review of any tour company, then you should go to Trip Advisor and typo in their company name to see what others say, i think they are in the top 2 for tours so that says something. This is how many cruisers find good tour providers, hope that is a help.