Alaska 2006

PONYRCR

First time cruiser thinking of an Alaskan Cruise for next years family vacation.

Lots of questions...

When is the best time to cruise Alaska? I know the weather can be unpredictable but generally when is the best weather expected? And when is the best time of year for wildlife viewing?

I have two boys who will be 12 and 10 by the time we'd cruise. What cruise lines offer the best activities for kids? Which cruise lines are more geared for families and kids?

I'd be cruising with my kids and my mom. Our style is more casual then formal. Is there a big diffence in "styles" amongst the cruise lines, and if so which ones are on the more casual end of the spectrum? Same goes for dining. We're not the steak and lobster types (especially the kids) so we don't require gormet meals. Are there crusie lines that offer a more family style of dining?

Since we'll probably only do this only once we'd like to see and do as much as we can. Is it better to do a 7 day one way cruise or a longer round trip, and is Inside Passage better? Which route offers more bang for the buck.

As far as excursions, same thing. We'd like to get in as much as possible. I'm more adventurous then the rest of my traveling party and would like to see as much wildlife and wilderness as possible. However my mom and kids are not. What are the best excursions to get in wildlife veiwing but easy on the walking and hiking? Also best trips to get a real feel for Alaska? And which excursions might best be avoided.

Like I've said I've never been on a cruise so where to say on ship is a total and complete unknown. Any suggestions?? Does it make any difference what deck and so forth? Although from what I've read so far, it sounds like a cabin with a balcony might be best.

Lastly what cruise lines offer the best overall deals? I'm not looking to go "on the cheap" but on the other hand, I don't want to spend a mint.

Any and all comments welcome. I need as much input as I can get..

If wildlife is your priority, then an investment in a one way cruise and another week interior traveling is the best option. Top wildlife areas are Seward and Denali Park, not to be missed.

With a cruise only and no extra time, August is the time for bears, chance in May if you care to spend all day on the Klondike Highway in a rental car- great scenery day anyway. Whale watching out of Juneau is your other wildlife option. For clairfication, on the cruise portion wildlife is rare and plenty never see any. At the least it requires tours and/or EFFORT from the ship. But be willing to spend significant time for minutes of viewing from a cruise ship. All brochure photos are greatly enhanced.

I would not make my cruise selection with a big consideration on the kids. All ships have kids programs and they will have a good time on most any sailing. :) I would book this for the adults and the touring priorities. You really need to consider, ports, time in ports, glacier, route, price. Budget fully for excursions- they are half your trip. As a ball park, if you want the bear watching out of Ketchikan be well prepared for around $300++++ per person. Whale watches are over $100 pp.

Most all cruises have alt dining. And attire is casual in dining rooms except for formal nights which you can skip. I like freestyle and personal choice dining for the flexability in times.

Never any guarantees on weather, you need to be prepared for it all with a wide range of attire. :)

With children and your inclination to a more casual atmosphere I'd go with Princess or NCL.. although the children's programs on RCI are also excellent.. There are more families on these as well than HAL or Celebrity on many (not all sailings) so likely more children your age. Princess' flexible dining (called "Anytime Dining" and NCL's Freestyle are very popular with families. Other ships offer casual options in the buffet but these options that include flexibilty in main dining room are also very popular!

Archived