Past Liberty Cruiser Hotel Question if Carnival booked your hotel

mamawg

I would like to hear from Liberty cruisers who stayed at the hotels Carnival booked them into for pre or post cruise stays. These would probably be either the Visconti Palace or the Cicerone. Give me your feedback on your stay.

Thank you.

I was on the 8/1 liberty cruise and stayed at the visconte. I thought it was good. We walked to the trevi fountain, spanish steps and Piazza navona from there. it is very close to the vatican as well. There was no restaurant but plenty in close proximity. Overall, we were pleased with the hotel.

Thanks for your reply on the Visconti. What time did Carnival pick you up to take you to the ship? On arrival in Rome, were you met by a Carnival rep? Did they drop you off right at the hotel? I heard someone say that there was some construction in front of the hotel. Did you find the staff rude as others have reported?

I was planning on walking to most of the sites. Did you do this and if so how long of a walk is it. Any other tips you might give me on restaurants, ATM's or anything else is appreciated.

Hotel Info: We were booked on a Holy Rome tour so we left the ship at 7:30 am and then picked up our luggage and boarded the bus. After the tour it dropped us at the hotel. If you are not on a tour they give you special tags for dembarkation. There is a carnival rep at the Visconte who checks you in and drew out on the map for us how to get to all the things we wanted to see. We probably walked about 10 - 15 minutes to get to the Trevi fountain and spanish steps. When I wasn't sure I was headed in the right direction., there were always Rome police officers around to ask which way. If you like to walk it was a very pleasant and easy walk. From Piazza navona it was about 10 minutes back to the hotel. The only person at the hotel we encountered was the bartender who was a little strange but not rude. I think it was due to his limited english. The rooms are nice but make sure you have them show you how to use your card to turn on the lights in the room and open the door. Luckily there was another american tourist in our hallway who helped us with this. We chose to eat at Piazza Navona and used our credit card there. There are lots of nice restaurants on the way from the spanish steps to the trevi fountain. The carnival rep will also give you your departure time for the airport and what you need to do with yuour luggage. it was well organized. have a good time, Maureen

Thank you Moe2K for the information. It sounds like we can walk fairly quickly to the places we want to see.

I still don't know if we will be at the Visconti or the Cicerone since Carnival usually doesn't give that out until about 30 days before departure. It sounds as if you did a post cruise stay. Hopefully Carnival will be as helpful to it's pre cruisers.

If anyone has done the pre cruise, what time did Carnival pick you up to take you to the ship? I'd like to hear about your stay too.

Guest Crazeecat5

My DH and I stayed at the Visconit pre cruise for our Aug.1st Liberty trip. We were met at the airport by a Carnival rep who took us to our transfer bus. The Visconti was a very nice hotel. We did not find the staff rude or overly friendly. There were Carnival reps set up in a private room for us to receive information. We were given a group number for departure to the ship. In the morning we were called by group number and proceeded to the bus. I believe this started about 10:00 AM. or so. Quite organized. Hope this helps.

Sheryl

My DH and I stayed at the Visconit pre cruise for our Aug.1st Liberty trip. We were met at the airport by a Carnival rep who took us to our transfer bus. The Visconti was a very nice hotel. We did not find the staff rude or overly friendly. There were Carnival reps set up in a private room for us to receive information. We were given a group number for departure to the ship. In the morning we were called by group number and proceeded to the bus. I believe this started about 10:00 AM. or so. Quite organized. Hope this helps.

Sheryl

If you got on the bus so early, what did you do all day? The ship doesn't leave until 7 p.m., right? I was hoping to have time to explore Rome a bit more before we boarded the shuttles.

Guest Crazeecat5

They started calling bus numbers at that time. We had number 4 so we didn't get on until about 10:45. We got to the port about noon and we were on the ship about 20 minutes later. We checked out our cabin, made our reservations for Harry's supper club and went to the Pursar's desk. Then we had some lunch and just relaxed and explored the ship. We had muster about 5:00 or so then a quick CC get together before our dinner at 6:15. Believe me, the time went rather quickly and enjoyably.

Sheryl

Guest Crazeecat5

We booked CCl air. The reps were waiting right around the baggage retrieval area. Thank goodness because my DH's suitcase got lost (it was never put on the plane in JFK) and the rep helped us file the proper papers with Amer. Airlines. We never could have conversed with them ourselves. BTW, the missing suitcase was delivered to our stateroom about 2 hours before sailing.

Sheryl

Thank you Sheryl. I appreciate the information that you gave me regarding the pick up time from the hotel to the ship. I figured we probably wouldn't have enough time to do anything in Rome that day, so we need to cram as much as we can as soon as we get to the hotel. It is good to know that the reps were there to help you out in the airport.

Did you walk to the sites or take cabs? I plan on using the ATM to exchange money. Any tips?

Gail

Guest Crazeecat5

We only had 1 day pre cruise because we have been to Rome several times before. We took a cab to the Pantheon because the last time we were there they were doing so much restoration. Since it was Sunday, we were able to go to mass there. What a shame...I was so jet lagged I kept falling asleep. DH kept knudging me but we finally had to leave. Took a cab back to the hotel. Did not use any ATMs so I can't help you there.

Sheryl

We are booked for a 2 day pre-cruise hotel stay thru CCL, actually, the whole package deal is thru them. We should be staying in either the Visconti or Cicerone, my TA said that it is a 4 star hotel but I don't know which one. Since we'll have one full day in Rome, we'd like to book an excursion/tour to see the Vatican, etc. The Trevi, Spanish steps, etc. I understand are walking distance, which is good, we'll explore those on foot. I think we need a tour to see the Vatican/Sistine Chapel. Are there excursions/tours we could book thru the hotel?

Thank you all for all the information, they are very helpful. I enjoy reading the reviews and posts of the all past Liberty cruisers. You guys are all very informative. Thanks.

Archived