Excursion--HELP!!! on POA

gzyteck

I need some help from past POA cruisers in selecting our excursions for our upcoming cruise. :rolleyes: We are cruising on Sept. 17 -24 and I would like to get our excursions booked this week.

We are an active couple 57 and 62 that enjoys snorkeling and the water. We are also planning on doing the bike trip down Haleakala Crater at sunrise.:eek: We would also like to snorkel Molokini crater in Maui. We are experienced snorkelers and would like to go with a small group not the cattle call boats. We have a two day pre cruise stay in Honolulu and would like to rent a car and do Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, etc. on our own.

So we are looking for excursions in Hilo, Kona and Nawiliwili. We have thought of renting a car in Nawiliwili, Kauai and exploring on our own. What do your think:confused:

I would appreciate any info or ideas yall can give me.

Please Help!!!!!

Anybody else cruising on POA Sept. 17 - 24??????????

You can email me directly at gzyteck@tisd.net

Thanks

Gayla

Here's some ideas in case you don't have a chance to snorkel: We took the Volcanoes National Park excursion when we were in Hilo. In Kona, we did an outrigger canoe excursion, and in Nawilili we did "kayack surfing" on our own. You probably already know this, but bring a jacket with you to Haleakala, 'cause it's pretty brisk up there!! :eek:

Enjoy your cruise! :)

Instead of renting a car for Pearl Harbor, I strongly suggest one of the local tour companies. You can book them from the lobby of most hotels. Pearl Harbor is actually confusing and having a good, experienced tour driver who can help you navigate the confusion is well worth it.

About Peal Harbor:

1.) Go Early. Take a 6:30-7:00 a.m. tour departure if you book a tour. If you use a car, plan on getting to the Pearl Harbor Parking lot by 7:15 a.m.

The line starts forming early and they begin to distribute tickets at 7:30 a.m. and although they are free, they go quickly. Usually all tickets for the day are handed out by 10:30-11:00 a.m. (and those would be for 4:30 p.m. tenders to the memorial!!) We got there last year at 7:20 a.m. and still got Tender Ticket #4, which was not until 9:30 a.m.! Lots of time to kill then.

2.) Get a combo tour of Pearl Harbor and the USS Missouri. Lots of great stuff to see and since they are next to each other, easy travel!

About Nawawilli, Kauai: Lots of road construction on this island, especially to the north. Make sure to leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship on the second day in case of heavy traffic! (Ship will wait for NCL tours stuck in traffic, but not those who are doing it on their own!)

I second the vote for Volcanoes National Park in Hilo. Great tour.

In Kona, lots of things to see and do at the pier. Lots of free shuttles to shopping centers and stores. I reccommend the free Wal-Mart shuttle in Kona. Not to shop, but to get a great picture of the ship. Wal-Mart sits on a high hill overlooking the bay and is a great photo area. My best picture of the POA is from the Wal-Mart Parking lot in Kona...lol.

Hope this helps.

Hi, just returend from the August 13, 2005 Pride of America cruise.

Ports are great, ship has issues to be worked out. Will post review later this week.

Anyway the Zodiac snorkel tour was great, about 14 people on raft or boat,

great captain Chad... snorkel was good too, lots of fish, water was warm.

Body glove does tour also but they pack them in on the their craft.

Helicopter over Kaui awesome.... (Safari) booked ourselves online $139, fifty minutes in air ,probably my favorite excursion. They pick up at pier. Any other questions let me know.

Aloha,

Tom

Archived