Charleston Hotel Recommendation

Anyone know which hotels are close to the port? I've never been out of charleston so I don't know what to expect. Need to get something booked up in the next day or 2. Looking for one that does the stay and park program. I found a bunch on the innerwebs, but I like to get real world reviews vs reading what is posted on the websites.

Anyone know which hotels are close to the port? I've never been out of charleston so I don't know what to expect. Need to get something booked up in the next day or 2. Looking for one that does the stay and park program. I found a bunch on the innerwebs' date=' but I like to get real world reviews vs reading what is posted on the websites.[/quote']

Hi,

By close to the port do you mean downtown? None of them have a park and cruise program. Those hotels are outside the downtown area.

Here is a link to the Convention & Visitors Bureau Park & Cruise web page. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/special_offers/packages/stay/ If you find a property that interests you, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. I've lived here since the early 80's and used to own a tourist related business that dealt with hotel properties, attractions and tours. I'd be happy to share what I know about them.

One thing you might consider is that the hotels usually charge more for the package than you can book a room directly for without the parking. Since the cruise is a short time, consider calculating the difference between a room without cruise parking and the parking fee at the port vs. the hotel package cost and time to wait for the hotel van plus travel time to retrieve the car and hit the road home.

Hi,

By close to the port do you mean downtown? None of them have a park and cruise program. Those hotels are outside the downtown area.

Here is a link to the Convention & Visitors Bureau Park & Cruise web page. http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/special_offers/packages/stay/ If you find a property that interests you, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. I've lived here since the early 80's and used to own a tourist related business that dealt with hotel properties, attractions and tours. I'd be happy to share what I know about them.

One thing you might consider is that the hotels usually charge more for the package than you can book a room directly for without the parking. Since the cruise is a short time, consider calculating the difference between a room without cruise parking and the parking fee at the port vs. the hotel package cost and time to wait for the hotel van plus travel time to retrieve the car and hit the road home.

I have never been to Charleston so I don't know the lay of the land there. I am familiar with the stay and cruise packages that the hotels do around Port Canaveral. I've looked into the cost of parking at the port in Charleston and for a 5 night cruise it will run $84. From what I've seen most of the stay and cruise packages at the hotels run between $120-150. Even on the high side I think it's a little cheaper than staying somewhere and paying for parking at the port. Like I said I just don't know the area so not sure which ones are decent vs flea bags trying to present a better image just to take advantage of cruise tourist.

Thanks for the help and any information you can provide. 😀

I have never been to Charleston so I don't know the lay of the land there. I am familiar with the stay and cruise packages that the hotels do around Port Canaveral. I've looked into the cost of parking at the port in Charleston and for a 5 night cruise it will run $84. From what I've seen most of the stay and cruise packages at the hotels run between $120-150. Even on the high side I think it's a little cheaper than staying somewhere and paying for parking at the port. Like I said I just don't know the area so not sure which ones are decent vs flea bags trying to present a better image just to take advantage of cruise tourist.

Thanks for the help and any information you can provide.

Two areas closest to downtown with pretty decent hotels and pricing are in Mt. Pleasant (just over the Cooper River bridge and five minutes from downtown) or West of the Ashley which is about 7 minutes the other direction (just over the Ashley River bridge and seven minutes from downtown.)

The next cheaper are in North Charleston which is much further from the cruise terminal and that has both good and bad areas where you need to be more hotel specific. Close to the Convention Center and Airport area are better. That's about 15 to 25 minutes to the port.

Then the next cheaper are above North Charleston towards Summerville where you're looking at 45 minutes to the port.

What's most important to you in your selection? I'd suggest you focus in Mt. Pleasant and West Ashley. There are just so many good properties I need some specific direction before I can assist in helping narrow down YOUR selections.

Focus on Hwy 17/Johnny Dodds Blvd in Mt Pleasant or Hwy 17/Savannah Hwy in West Ashley.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

not sure which ones are decent vs flea bags trying to present a better image just to take advantage of cruise tourist.

I forgot to mention, if you use the CVB package page, you won't find a flea bag on the list. It costs hotels a lot of money to be a member of the Travel Council. Flea bags don't pony up.