Northern Europe

steph7021

This summer we sailed out of Venice for 9 nights at around $700 pp for an inside and $1200 for a balcony. I'm looking at 7 nights Northern Europe in August for quite a bit more than that. Is NE usually more expensive than the Med?

Edited by steph7021

This summer we sailed out of Venice for 9 nights at around $700 pp for an inside and $1200 for a balcony. I'm looking at 7 nights Northern Europe in August for quite a bit more than that. Is NE usually more expensive than the Med?

Seems to be - perhaps port charges and taxes are higher?

Generally speaking, Northern Europe is more expensive with higher living standards and costs than the Med.

Edited by Beamafar

I'd say it's not only cost of living, but mainly demand. The season in northern Europe: Norway + Baltics is very short, June to August mainly, mid may to mid September at most. It happens the same in Alaska for instance.

We booked ahead of time and got an acceptable rate, yet with the Bella thing category.

Shore excursions in Norway are way too expensive as well, there you end up paying the higher labour costs. I don't know about port charges and goods like equipment, fuel or food. We sail out of Kiel, and I don't think those items are more expensive than in the Med.

Also, the most important cost of a cruise line I guess it's the crew cost, which is identical anywhere they sail.