MSC Divina questions - how is it compared to Carnival or Royal?

Rescuedogs2

We are hoping to upgrade our cruise experience and might book on Divina in April. 12 cruises so far, but not on higher-end lines - yet! We're an American couple in our 50's that have tired of other line's craziness at the buffets and lido deck. Curious about the food and friendliness of this line. Would be going from Miami to St. Maarten, San Juan and Great Stirrup. Any others out there with comments about these ports or this ship?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Best Cruise Ever - Thanks MSC!

Sail Date: December 2013 Destination: Southern Caribbean Embarkation: Miami

I wanted to give back to all who helped me w/my many questions before sailing. Thanks! I can't tell you how much we enjoyed the Divina. We are anxious to do another MSC sailing!

Review is a bit sporadic, but wanted to post it asap.

-Night before cruise....Stayed at Miami Doral area hotel with $12 shuttle to port and free parking for 11 nights. Good friendly service, clean, walk to restaurants.

-Took 11am shuttle, porters took bags and we were given numbered cards to board in sequence. On board about 12:15. Cabin ready. Room Steward wonderful. Asked for robes, ice, more hangars, etc. Nice size balcony with 2 chairs and stool. Flat screen TV. Could use more US channels. Plenty of storage including under bed.

-Most all problems referred to on Boards and Reviews have been taken care of. The only negative I can remember that turned into a positive was that our Allegrissimo Classic code wasn't on our card although we ordered online months ago. I was told to go to the Service Desk, Deck 5. The clerk told me to go to the Restaurant. When I arrived the Mgr. personally walked me back to the Service Deck and had them change my card. After that no problems with Allegrissimo. It did seem that some of the bartenders still weren't too familiar with making some drinks, but there was always a head bartender there to help out. Really not much of a wait at all! Wines on Allegrissimo classic package were fine for us!

-No rudeness encountered at all except from one bar waitress who argued loudly with our wonderful wait staff in front of us. We mentioned this to her and she came back to apologize to us for her actions. Didn't experience the pushing and shoving that I had read about.

-Food: Buffet was really good with varied items. The Ethnic, cheeses and other "fancier" food items are in the back buffet. Easy seating there also. Most people just get food from front area and sit there so that area is busier.

French toast, sausages at breakfast and other selections very good. Eggs and bacon not so good.

Dinner items were mostly very good. There were very few items that we didn't care for. Plenty of choices though, extra and special orders also fine.

Loved the lobster tails, juicy and extras offered. Shrimp cocktail good. Tiramisu and Baked Alaska ceremonies by waiters fun. Wait staff sensational. No problem getting drinks or wine at dinner table. Horseradish, hot red pepper, etc. also not a problem!

Coffee was fine...No problem with cups, milk, etc.

Servers walked around buffet to get drinks or coffee for us if we didn't want to go to bar ourselves.

Muster was at 5pm. Sailaway first night was 7pm. We decided to skip 7pm show to watch sailaway with friends. No music at sailaway except for on the movie screen. That was a bit disappointing.

Shows were the best I've ever seen except for comedian on last night. Standing ovations most nights.

Lounge entertainment including dueling pianos, bands and duets were fabulous. The entertainment staff really worked hard, were friendly and we felt like friends by time we disembarked.

The sheets, pillows and mattress could be improved upon.

Bar staff were friendly and we never had a bad drink. However, it seemed that the newer bartenders had to get instruction from the main bartender on quite a few occasions. Not a big deal. No big delays getting drinks. On certain gala nights (3 gala nights on 11 night cruise!) there were free drinks for an hour for those not on Allegrissimo package.

Pizza at buffet was pretty good.

Few children on this cruise. Some still went to Infinity Pool in back of ship, but well behaved. We saw the +18 Solarium, but didn't think we needed to go there. Chairs always available at pools and nearby.

They had a white party on the deck, an Italian theme night (red/white/green) and a flower 60's party. Some guests dressed up in appropriate theme.

Interesting seeing flying fish while onboard at many ports.

Bananas for breakfast were abundant in beginning of cruise, then "spotted" in middle of cruise and then non-existent at end of cruise. Not a big deal, but I thought this was odd.

Many of my friends had purchased the drink vouchers online and this worked well for them also.

Exercise - Did the Aqua Bikes and DH did regular spin class. Really enjoyed both. Also did FREE Stretch, aerobic and zumba classes...Fun. The gym wasn't that crowded so DH worked out there daily also.

Infinity Pool was never filled to edge. I heard that this was because water flowed onto aft decks. Not sure about this though. Still a nice place to chill out away from main pools.

We were told to be out of cabin at 7am. Breakfast from 6 - 8 buffet and restaurant. Our colored luggage tags said 9:30 so we had to wait in theatre for awhile after breakfast. Then someone came for our group, directed us to baggage carousel...Luggage came quickly. Customs took about half an hour.

Dance lessons, wine tasting, astronomy seminars, trivia available.

Drink servers always available, but not pushy at all. Announcements in one language except for muster. Very few announcements.

Ports

Falmouth - Time N Place Beach (never got there - more info on Jamaica board..If they get their transportation straightened out, this would be a good stop. We decided to just shop....the pool at Margaritaville still in progress)

Aruba - Took van ($3 each) from port to Eagle Beach. Beautiful beach...Not much else there. Water cooler than in Florida!

Curacao - Got prearranged taxi to Porta Mari beach to snorkel...Best snorkeling ever...easy to enter beach...Beach bar....Great excursion.

Panama - stayed on ship.

Cozumel - Went on Bar Hop to 4 or 5 beaches on West side with no electricity. Fabulous time...Waves like Hawaii....Fun time!

I loved having port days with sea days inbetween.

Thanks for a wonderful cruise, MSC!