Embarking from San Juan, Best Practices?

Oceanborn

Hello fellow cruisers!

My wife and I will be flying to San Juan in 3 days to start our cruise. We are flying in the night before and staying at a boutique. My question is, what (based on your experience) is the best way to handle embarkation day? On previous cruises that left earlier it was a cut and dry case of checkout as early as possible and board the ship, but since this cruise doesn't set sail until 10pm... Not sure what to do...

We were unable to get FTTF, and ideally we would like to get rid of ALL our bags (Both Checked and Carry-on) and then explore San Juan a little then reboard? If this would work out, what time should we show up at the ship initially? When might our room be ready so we can drop off our carry ons etc? Is it easy enough to get off and re-board?

Sorry for so many questions, this is just a completely different embarkation than we are used to and any info to may help me plan would be greatly appreciated!

Hi, I am sure you will love sailing out of San Juan.... it is the best port to sail out of IMHO. I personally would check out around normal time... not really hurry. If you are at the pier by around noon chances are you can board, have lunch, drop off any carry ons then get back off. It is very easy to reboard also. A lot of people do this and treat it almost like another port stop. In our experience most of the time rooms are ready before 1pm... so if you happen to stroll past your room and drop off your bags.....:eek::rolleyes:. Definitely go back out and check out the city or the forts or just wander down the Paseo de la Princessa past all the local vendors. Great city. We have sailed out of there on both Carnival and Celebrity 4 times (Carnival puts you at the best pier) I think FTTF is a waste of money on this itinerary... as there is no real hurry to get on, no tenders etc. We have done this particular cruise on Carnival Victory 2 times (see reviews in signature). Have a great cruise and come back and write a review let us know how it went for you.

Hi, I am sure you will love sailing out of San Juan.... it is the best port to sail out of IMHO. I personally would check out around normal time... not really hurry. If you are at the pier by around noon chances are you can board, have lunch, drop off any carry ons then get back off. It is very easy to reboard also. A lot of people do this and treat it almost like another port stop. In our experience most of the time rooms are ready before 1pm... so if you happen to stroll past your room and drop off your bags.....:eek::rolleyes:. Definitely go back out and check out the city or the forts or just wander down the Paseo de la Princessa past all the local vendors. Great city. We have sailed out of there on both Carnival and Celebrity 4 times (Carnival puts you at the best pier) I think FTTF is a waste of money on this itinerary... as there is no real hurry to get on, no tenders etc. We have done this particular cruise on Carnival Victory 2 times (see reviews in signature). Have a great cruise and come back and write a review let us know how it went for you.

Thank you for taking the time to write this, this is exactly the type of personal experience info I was looking for!

I have done this as well. I have sailed from SJ many times. Last year, DH and I left our hotel at 11, boarded by 11:30, and ate a leisurely lunch. After lunch we waited until the rooms opened up. We dropped off our carry on luggage and left the ship. We went to Old SJ to walk around for a while. We were able to share a taxi from and back to the ship, which saved some money. I think the entire cab was in the neighborhood of $20 each way. We got back to the ship at about 5. They wanted us back at the ship by about 6 or 7, I can't remember. They have the muster drill at around 7 or 8, so you need to back by then. Keep in mind also, that it gets dark at around 6 pm year round.

I have done this as well. I have sailed from SJ many times. Last year, DH and I left our hotel at 11, boarded by 11:30, and ate a leisurely lunch. After lunch we waited until the rooms opened up. We dropped off our carry on luggage and left the ship. We went to Old SJ to walk around for a while. We were able to share a taxi from and back to the ship, which saved some money. I think the entire cab was in the neighborhood of $20 each way. We got back to the ship at about 5. They wanted us back at the ship by about 6 or 7, I can't remember. They have the muster drill at around 7 or 8, so you need to back by then. Keep in mind also, that it gets dark at around 6 pm year round.

I am thinking you were at the Pan Am pier across the bay from Old San Juan.... OP is on Carnival and boards at the pier in OSJ so no need for a taxi to get to San Juan. You can take a taxi up to the forts if you wish but I think walking if you can is much more immersive as an experience.

I am thinking you were at the Pan Am pier across the bay from Old San Juan.... OP is on Carnival and boards at the pier in OSJ so no need for a taxi to get to San Juan. You can take a taxi up to the forts if you wish but I think walking if you can is much more immersive as an experience.

Oh, OK. I did not see that the OP mentioned which ship. There is a free trolley in OSJ as well. It saves a walk uphill for those who don't want to or can't walk to the forts.