Dining on Costa Fortuna

BringMeTheHorizon

Hello to all fellow cruisers!

First, an introduction/explanation to the question to follow:

In the summer of 2013 I've cruised with Costa Fortuna to the Norwegian Fjord - gorgeous ship, great ports, wonderful food, crew, entertainment; loved everything about it! Anyway, I cruised with my father, we were in one cabin, as we completed the web check-in we chose one of the two restaurants on board and the early sitting option. On the first night on board we simply went to the restaurant we've chosen at the time for early sitting. We were greeted at the entrance and one of the waiters (or perhaps it was the maître d, I can't remember) led us to a two-person table. I cannot recall whether he asked us anything or asked to see our Costa Cards. My father seems to remember he only asked how many we were, we obviously said 'two', and were led to the table.

Second, the conundrum:

Next year we'll also be cruising with Costa Fortuna, only this time my father and mother will be in one cabin, I'll be occupying a different cabin, and then we also have two friends of the family going on the same cruise in another cabin. At dinner we would all love to sit together. Question: how do we make it happen?

Thank you greatly in advance :)

Hello to all fellow cruisers!

First, an introduction/explanation to the question to follow:

In the summer of 2013 I've cruised with Costa Fortuna to the Norwegian Fjord - gorgeous ship, great ports, wonderful food, crew, entertainment; loved everything about it! Anyway, I cruised with my father, we were in one cabin, as we completed the web check-in we chose one of the two restaurants on board and the early sitting option. On the first night on board we simply went to the restaurant we've chosen at the time for early sitting. We were greeted at the entrance and one of the waiters (or perhaps it was the maître d, I can't remember) led us to a two-person table. I cannot recall whether he asked us anything or asked to see our Costa Cards. My father seems to remember he only asked how many we were, we obviously said 'two', and were led to the table.

Second, the conundrum:

Next year we'll also be cruising with Costa Fortuna, only this time my father and mother will be in one cabin, I'll be occupying a different cabin, and then we also have two friends of the family going on the same cruise in another cabin. At dinner we would all love to sit together. Question: how do we make it happen?

Thank you greatly in advance :)

Going on past experience - contact the Maitre d as soon as is practicable when you get on board - or go early to dinner on the first night - and ask them to seat you all together. You could do it through your booking agent if you are using one - and best of luck doing it online.

Going on past experience - contact the Maitre d as soon as is practicable when you get on board - or go early to dinner on the first night - and ask them to seat you all together. You could do it through your booking agent if you are using one - and best of luck doing it online.

Thank you for replying! We'll do just that. Common sense tells me that they will at the least allow a daughter to sit together with her parents, so hopefully this will not be an issue.

Unfortunately, there is no option to "connect" different bookings online (well, at least I hadn't found such an option).

Thank you for replying! We'll do just that. Common sense tells me that they will at the least allow a daughter to sit together with her parents, so hopefully this will not be an issue.

Unfortunately, there is no option to "connect" different bookings online (well, at least I hadn't found such an option).

Maitre d every time - don't worry - go straight there. You'll be good to go:D Bearing in mind - it is some while since we did a Costa Cruise Cruise.

Edited by dizzy1948

Maitre d every time - don't worry - go straight there. You'll be good to go:D Bearing in mind - it is some while since we did a Costa Cruise Cruise.

Well, hopefully, not much has changed since you've cruised with Costa :)

May I ask with which company(is) you've been cruising? Any companies resembling Costa in terms of the less casual dress code and general atmosphere? For instance, we've cruised with RCCL this year and didn't like it as much as Costa; too casual for our taste.

Well, hopefully, not much has changed since you've cruised with Costa :)

May I ask with which company(is) you've been cruising? Any companies resembling Costa in terms of the less casual dress code and general atmosphere? For instance, we've cruised with RCCL this year and didn't like it as much as Costa; too casual for our taste.

Oh dear - don't know what to say - living in the land down under - we have done and are doing another... Princess Cruise. Alas - sadly the - general atmosphere is going more casual. Getting dressed up for dinner - seems to be on the slide these days. A sign of the times I suppose - nothing is as constant as change. Costa doesn't come down our way - and we enjoyed our Costa Cruises - they were from Singapore but alas Costa doesn't come down this way - so we grab what we can. If we ever get North of the Equator again - Costa would be our Cruise Line of choice. :):D

Oh dear - don't know what to say - living in the land down under - we have done and are doing another... Princess Cruise. Alas - sadly the - general atmosphere is going more casual. Getting dressed up for dinner - seems to be on the slide these days. A sign of the times I suppose - nothing is as constant as change. Costa doesn't come down our way - and we enjoyed our Costa Cruises - they were from Singapore but alas Costa doesn't come down this way - so we grab what we can. If we ever get North of the Equator again - Costa would be our Cruise Line of choice. :):D

Sadly, you are right. Personally, I enjoy getting dressed up and I love the formal atmosphere with tuxedos and evening gowns. Especially on a beautiful, luxurious cruise ship; it just seems so... appropriate! Wondering around these gorgeous vessels in shorts and flip-flops (outside the pool area) simply doesn't seem right to me. Alas, that's only me... and I'm part of a dying breed... :(

Costa doesn't come our way either (we live in Israel), so we come to Costa! :D We choose the cruise we like, take a flight to the city it embarks from, and spend a few extra days in that city, too, so it's a win-win situation :) We've cruised with an Israeli cruise company for many years because we didn't want the hassle of flying somewhere, but it became TOO awful to bear, so we decided to try flying+cruising, and so far it has worked out wonderfully!

When all the parties have booked, you can ask Costa (or via your TA) to link all the booking numbers so that you can be seated together in the MDR. Also at the same time request the size of table, i.e. 6, 8, or 10 seats.

Liz, it's good to hear and see that you are still kicking.:) Hope life is being kind to you.

This Costa board ahs certainly slowed down, I miss the good ol' days when it was more liovely and all the banter going on.

Cruise wise we are booked on an 11 dayer visiting France, Morocco, Portugal and Spain, leaving in 2 months.

Lots of love,

Ron

Liz, it's good to hear and see that you are still kicking.:) Hope life is being kind to you.

This Costa board ahs certainly slowed down, I miss the good ol' days when it was more liovely and all the banter going on.

Cruise wise we are booked on an 11 dayer visiting France, Morocco, Portugal and Spain, leaving in 2 months.

Lots of love,

Ron

Hi Ron - hope you don't get a dodgy bathroom door :eek: I also miss the good old days - but I do keep having a peek on here - just to see who's about. Lady Peacock appeared, and Blondie is about - don't know where Grumpy 100 went :p Capricruiser appears now and again. With our cruise being a while back - and the new drink packages etc on offer now - my input wouldn't be up to much. But I did feel confident in responding to the OP's dining query. Hope you are well, and all the hassles for your family with the floods have settled down now.

A Rhine River Cruise is on our bucket list - I keep having a flick over on the River Cruise site - have seen you on there. (Perhaps I am stalking ;) ) I used to love those "cruise stalking" posts that you used to do.

Keep well, stay safe

Liz

Oh....can't resist this one.....how is the MIL? :rolleyes:

Edited by dizzy1948

Hi Ron - hope you don't get a dodgy bathroom door :eek: I also miss the good old days - but I do keep having a peek on here - just to see who's about. Lady Peacock appeared, and Blondie is about - don't know where Grumpy 100 went :p Capricruiser appears now and again. With our cruise being a while back - and the new drink packages etc on offer now - my input wouldn't be up to much. But I did feel confident in responding to the OP's dining query. Hope you are well, and all the hassles for your family with the floods have settled down now.

A Rhine River Cruise is on our bucket list - I keep having a flick over on the River Cruise site - have seen you on there. (Perhaps I am stalking ;) ) I used to love those "cruise stalking" posts that you used to do.

Keep well, stay safe

Liz

Oh....can't resist this one.....how is the MIL? :rolleyes:

Liz, life is treating us good - no complaints. Waiting to see what Costa has on offer when the 2016 itinaries come out next year. Would love to have a Costa ship (european not chinesed ship) based in Singapore, north to Ha Long Bay / Hong Kong, south to Bali / Oz, west Phuket / Rangoon, west Borneo / Philippines - one can dream.

We live near the Danube, not the Rhine, but if you do decide to take a river cruise please let me mknow if I can help in anyway.

I had nearly forgotten dear MIL until you mentioned it.:mad:

Dear MIL is going down hill fast (soon that is after I have manipulated the brakes on her wheel chair).

I know MIL will not be going to heaven, as there was a recent study that showed dragons cannot fly higher than 100 feet.<

Stay in touch

Ron

Liz, life is treating us good - no complaints. Waiting to see what Costa has on offer when the 2016 itinaries come out next year. Would love to have a Costa ship (european not chinesed ship) based in Singapore, north to Ha Long Bay / Hong Kong, south to Bali / Oz, west Phuket / Rangoon, west Borneo / Philippines - one can dream.

We live near the Danube, not the Rhine, but if you do decide to take a river cruise please let me mknow if I can help in anyway.

I had nearly forgotten dear MIL until you mentioned it.:mad:

Dear MIL is going down hill fast (soon that is after I have manipulated the brakes on her wheel chair).

I know MIL will not be going to heaven, as there was a recent study that showed dragons cannot fly higher than 100 feet.<

Stay in touch

Ron

LOL... Ron - you are priceless :D:D:D so miss the humour. Sorry to the OP for pinching the thread - will stay in touch Ron - I can find you on the boards - I can "stalk" you :p You can run - but you cannot hide :eek:

Cheers

Liz

When all the parties have booked, you can ask Costa (or via your TA) to link all the booking numbers so that you can be seated together in the MDR. Also at the same time request the size of table, i.e. 6, 8, or 10 seats.

Thank you for replying and thanks for the advice.

I actually called Costa (since all the parties have already booked) and I was told that since two of the parties don't have premium cabins, they cannot link the booking numbers. Apparently, sitting together is a "privilege" reserved only for premium cabin holders. Ridiculous. Yet another way to make money off people. We all found it completely insane to overpay hundreds of dollars just to be sitting together, so we will simply turn to the Maitre D. It's not as important that the two friends of the family sit with us, but it is important that I sit with my parents, especially, since they don't know a word in English (only Russian), and unless Costa wants to provide them with an interpreter for the nine nights of the cruise, they will simply have to sit us together.

Thank you for replying and thanks for the advice.

I actually called Costa (since all the parties have already booked) and I was told that since two of the parties don't have premium cabins, they cannot link the booking numbers. Apparently, sitting together is a "privilege" reserved only for premium cabin holders. Ridiculous. Yet another way to make money off people. We all found it completely insane to overpay hundreds of dollars just to be sitting together, so we will simply turn to the Maitre D. It's not as important that the two friends of the family sit with us, but it is important that I sit with my parents, especially, since they don't know a word in English (only Russian), and unless Costa wants to provide them with an interpreter for the nine nights of the cruise, they will simply have to sit us together.

How dreadfully, dreadfully snobbish. Don't stress - Maitre D does it every time. Those guys are wonderful - they can make it happen.

More than one way to skin a cat. :D:D:D

I personally wouldn't even contact Costa again until you are onboard - they will only keep winding you up. Not the easiest "Company" to deal with. They have a problem with left and right hands.

Edited by dizzy1948

How dreadfully, dreadfully snobbish. Don't stress - Maitre D does it every time. Those guys are wonderful - they can make it happen.

More than one way to skin a cat. :D:D:D

I personally wouldn't even contact Costa again until you are onboard - they will only keep winding you up. Not the easiest "Company" to deal with. They have a problem with left and right hands.

Obviously, there's no reason to contact them... this whole thing simply doesn't make any sense to me! :confused:

Hopefully, no skinning will be necessary, but if things get ugly... :D:eek: