Drink Package Question

Snowescapee

Question - we have three people in our cabin for an upcoming cruise in January. We took the drink package as our perk so 2 people are getting the Classic package (the third got a 50% reduced fair rather than the non-alcoholic package). The issue is the TA assigned the drink packages to the wrong people, potentially one of the people who has the drink package assigned to them would rather have the premium non-alc and pay for the one or two drinks per day.

TA says we can change this at the port. I want to preorder everything ahead of time. Do I need to call X and get it figured out or are we stuck?

X will probably not talk to you since you are booked through a TA. I'd call the TA and insist that you need this straightened out now. The fact that the TA says do it at the port sounds to me like they are being lazy and putting the work you're paying them for off on you. At the port you just want a smooth check in and this will cause issues. One example is that the seapasses will be prepared for each person in advance and the drink package will be preprinted on those it is assigned to. I don't know if they can re-print these at the port terminal check-in or if you'd need to follow up on board so you'd already be facing more lines, waits and hassle. Also, if you want to switch from some discount promo to the non-alcoholic package then this could not be done at port - this would need to be done ASAP while the promotion is currently in effect and before prices change. I really don't see why your TA won't take care of it now.

Edited by Lsimon

Is the issue that the package was assigned wrong, or were the 1st, 2nd and 3rd person identified wrong from the beginning? When we do this, we always make sure my DH and DS are the first two passengers so that they can get the regular drink package as I am not much of a drinker. If that is the issue, it might be more complicated than trying to fix it at the pier. I would definitely get back to the TA to try to straighten this out. If they won't, I would try Celebrity (Captains Club number if you are a member), We have had no problem purchasing drink packages, specialty dinners, etc. with them when we used a TA. They didn't give us any push back at all.

Edited by phoenix_dream

... I would try Celebrity (Captains Club number if you are a member), We have had no problem purchasing drink packages, specialty dinners, etc. with them when we used a TA. They didn't give us any push back at all.

Celebrity will definitely talk to any cruiser, TA or not, when it comes to selling them "cruise enhancements" (beverage packages, excursions, specialty dining, spa packages, flower orders, etc). But a basic change in a booking is quite different and here the OP wants to change the booking record as opposed to purchasing a package that doesn't effect the underlying booking.

There is a recent thread on Cruise Critic about having a booking transferred from a TA back to Celebrity but it appears to only be possible in extreme cases: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2099295

Also, if you're willing to change cabins, and if the pricing and promotion you booked under is still available you might consider cancelling the booking with the TA and re-booking direct with Celebrity or with a better TA.

Edited by Lsimon

Well I need to book a few things - shore excursions, specialty dining, a drink package so I'm sure I can get X to talk to me :) It's just what they will do about this hiccup

Unfortunately our promo is no long valid and our cruising time doesn't fall into the new promo. We may just be screwed. In which case I can add it to the long list of hiccups on this booking.