Did the Puna Tour ..was fabulous....

NJDeb

I know several cruisers were wondering about the Secrets of Puna tour...it was amazing!!!!!! You get picked up in luxury suv's right at the pier. The two women running this tour are native Hawaiians and they were fabulous.....I repeat fabulous!!! If you are like me and do not like big tour buses this is for u...These women are able to give u the true feel of the island. They first take u to where the lava flow in 1983-1990 destroyed an entire town....The road says closed but they know where to go....couldn't believe we were driving over the lava fields. Words cannot do this justice...to stand there in the middle of it was amazing. People actually still live out there.....We got out and walked around a bit. Then it was off to Mackenzie Park where they give u a great lunch and champagne is flowing. The park has spectacular views of the coastline. After lunch we went to Champagne Lake.. What a drive there...have to have a rugged 4x4 to get there....It is a lagoon heated by lava tubes....You can actually see the heat coming up in the water with the bubbles..like in a champagne glass. They supply all your snorkeling equipment and big cuddly towels. All day long they have a big assortment of drinks and snacks. Then off to Lava Tree State park...was interesting but buggy...My favorite things about this tour was I am not sure u would ever find some of these places on your own..and if u did..not sure the rental companies would let you go to them...especially of your tires got cut up by the lava and u had to call them.....These women were born and raised there and know the island so well and are very friendly.....it was a very personal tour....you get a true feel for the island and the people...loved it....didn't see VNP..but did go to the Haleakala crater on Maui..that was amazing too...rented a car there ....and did drive the road the car rental agency says not too....the north shore on the west side of the island.....was scary..road is one lane and u cannot see around the twists and turns.....it is paved..but is not for anyone who is scared of heights or is not comfortable driving on narrow winding roads...no guardrails at all...takes about an hour....we are glad we did it tho.....not sure I would do it again tho...

• 1 month later...

NJ Deb, my wife and I also did the Puna tour. it was truly amazing. We were so glad we did it. It was expensive, but worth every penny. Our friends did the Lava Viewing Hike, which they now refer to as the death march, and hated it! They were so jealous when they saw us return to the ship relaxed and happy! Highly recommended by the ship staff, and so mcuh better than their desccriptions!

tdiii...so glad you enjoyed the Secrets of Puna as much as we did....I was afraid to do the Lava viewing hike only because I didn't want to spend the entire day walking....especially on a tight schedule...Ours was booked thru NCL...but here is the info for the tour right thru them...Its www.kapohokine.com.. Our tour guide was Anna Leialoha...and she was wonderful....

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this!!! We've stayed on the big Island before and had already done VNP and I was looking for something a bit different. I think this is it! I just booked it for our trip in March. The tour is suppose to be six hours according to what Celebrity's website said.

This sounds great but just a couple of questions:

1.Does this tour leave from Hilo?

2. Duration

3. Would you do this or go to VNP we will only be there for one day and this is our first time there.

4.What is Celebrity charging? I found it for $149pp on their website

Thanks for all of the info

The tour guides met us right at the dock. Their Suv's were parked right outside.

The duration was about 51/2-6hrs. We booked thru NCL. I am sure if whatever cruiseline you are on, if this tour is listed you will will have time to do it. If its not and you are only docked for 6 hrs...I would be careful.

We paid the same thru NCL.

Celebrity is charging $157 for the tour. Since I haven't experienced this tour, it's hard for me to compare going to VNP and doing the Secrets of Puna. If it was me though, I'd have to check out VNP if I've never been there. One of the best things we did was a helicopter ride that got us very close to the lava flowing down the volcano. We did that over 12 years ago and I still have such vivid memories of that experience.

NJDeb-was this a ship excursion or a private company? We are going in February, so just starting to look at excursions now. Thanks!

I'm going in January and I was online at Holland America's website booking excursions just last night. I read the description for this one and just had to book it. I am so glad I did after stumbling upon this review.

I don't know what cruise line you are using, by chances are they offer it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We visited the Puna area in October by rental car after arriving on Carnival Spirit. We used information from this cc site plus the Big Island Revealed book and had a wonderful day exploring the area. We had been to VNP before and were looking for something different. Would do this day again any time. Enjoy!

Archived