Want to go to beach at Progresso...how?

cakemomof4

Progresso is one of the stops on our upcoming cruise. We will be cruising with our four kids and all we want to do is have beach time. I've read you can walk to the beach from the port. Is the beach free? I assume its just a public beach? Will I know how to get there? Whats it called? Will I see it? Is it close enough my kids can walk? Help please?

When you disembark the ship at Progreso you will walk through a small shopping area then you will board a bus that will take you to the Town of Progreso. The pier at Progreso is 4 miles long. As you get closer to shore you will see a long beach stretching to your left. The beach is free. once you get off the bus you will need to walk back down to the beach, not far. As far as the beach goes, it is going to be more similar to the beach at Galveston then to the beaches on Cozumel. Tip, the farther up the beach you go, away from the pier, the fewer vendors there will be selling their wares.

Edited by PacificMountain2012

• 4 weeks later...

The beach will be to your left as you come in on the bus from the pier. The beach has the potential to be fairly nice, and I have seen improvements over the years but the vendors will not leave you alone. It was impossible for me to read a paragraph in my book before another vendor approached me trying to sell something. A simple "No, gracias" was all it took but it would have been more relaxing without the constant (and I mean constant) interruptions. I know they are trying to make a living and we always end up buying several things but the last few times we have taken a bus tour and gone to a beach further away. I would definitely spend more time on the Progreso beach if there were not so many vendors. Just my opinion.