slashed prices

meow!

Unless the policy has changed recently, Silversea doesn't have photographers on its ships. So there's no need to worry about paparazzi hanging around your dinner table, although--if you're famous enough--they might be waiting for you on shore. :-)

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

By the way, just to know, does the Silver Shadow have some kind of photo-finishing lab, one that can transfer digital photo memory sticks to CDs? If so, how much do they charge? Thank you.

"In our case, I was displeased that you have to purchase a Penthouse to have hot room service. And, on Oceania when they deliver it, it is plunked down on the miniscule table and the waiter departs - no presentation, and no room!"

I am less concerned with the table size or presentation in the cabin, but I expect to be able to order gratis hot breakfasts (and other hot meals) to be brought to the cabin on every line I sail. HAL, Princess and Celebrity have all delivered hot meals to the cabin, none of which were suites.

I want to be certain I understand Oceania's policy.

Are you saying that you cannot get hot meals in your cabin, or simply that the cabin breakfast tag might not LIST hot items? (We never let that tag confine us to the items listed, as we write in what we want, without going overboard, of course,)

If we cannot get a hot breakfast served to our cabin, we will not cruise with Oceania or any other line that does not give that to us.

So, can we or can't we?

We were in an ordinary balconied cabin. We ordered room service only once on the Regatta, the evening that the sea was particularly rough. We got nicely grilled halibut, it was warm, not cold. The rest we did not try and therefore did not know.

garydm: Thanks for your informative reply!

Gillianrose, my understanding was that you CANNOT receive a hot breakfast by room service UNLESS you have a Penthouse, which comes with a butler - who will bring it to you. Thats what they told me, and so I remained content with my croissant, fruit, cereal, yoghurt unless I wanted to dress and go to the dining room or the outside terrace buffet.....I probably would have made the decision to try Oceania anyway, but it would have been nice to know that hot breakfasts via RS were OUT! icon_frown.gif

Glenda Madrid

Melbcruise, look for a dynamic group of twelve 40 plus women looking for a good time! Commonly known as the WOWzers - (women on water). We actually formed this cruise idea on one of the CC boards last summer! (See what mischief too much time on the boards can get you into!) We have a private website where we communicate with each other - we are located all over the US - and are busily planning our flights and excursions. Dec 6 cannot come soon enough!

Be sure and let me know how to contact you and your sister, and we will be sure to say hello!

icon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

Glenda Madrid

Please read up on Silversea's own wesite. Red ink ("Silver sailings" special discounts) has begun to flow for 2005 itineraries, though the discount percentages are for the moment not as steep as for 2004. Any comments? Thank you.

Meow!:

I recall hearing somewhere that Silversea has yield-management software (not unlike that used by airlines and hotel chains) to project occupancy rates for specific sailings based on current bookings and historical trends. I'd guess--and this is ONLY a guess--that discounts AND the number of cabins available at discounted fares are adjusted as a result of such projections. (Don't forget, discounts are "capacity-controlled" and are subject to other limitations, so a nominal 30% or 40% discount doesn't mean that cabins are being sold at cut rates across the board.)

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Thanks for the reply. In any case, I am happy that we booked #3435 for December at 50% discount, the exact same itinerary a month later #3501 is only at 40% discount despite its also being made a "silver sailing". Coupled with the lower "list price" (which increased for 2005), we booked at $700 per person less than the sailing in January!

I'd guess that December's cruise is cheaper because most people would rather stay home during the gift-shopping and party season, then go to somewhere warm and sunny during the grey days of January and post-holiday depression. (Or, if they are traveling in December, they're probably going to a place like New York where they can soak up the holiday atmosphere and pretend to be John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale in SERENDIPITY.)

--

Durant Imboden

Europeforvisitors.com

Yes, the 50% discount on the Silversea cruise from San Diego was too good to pass up. My wife and I will be there! (Somehow we will manage to pry ourselves away from the pre-Christmas madness...)

Unfortunately, it seems like the Vista rooms are now all gone. (We will make do in a mid-ship veranda.) Since we live in SoCal (Pasadena), not having to pay for air fare just made this cruise too good to pass up.

The only problem with trying SS is it will probably spoil us from *ever* going back to Princess, HAL, RCL, NCL, etc. (all of which we have enjoyed) Oh well, I guess you only live once... :]

One question we have - prior to the cruise, does SS send some kind of questionnaire asking about mini-bar preferences? And does anyone know what is on the "25" standard list of wines?

See you on the Shadow on the 14th!

RK

rkaratsu.

not sure if you can prebook your bar, i arrange it with the cabin steward when i arrive at the cabin,take sless than 10 mins once you sail , and they leave champagne on ice in the cabin to keep you going. you can also tell the steward hoe to keep it topped up

i have them place a jug of freshly squeezed orange juice in the fridge and keep it topped up, also a bucket of ice at 10 am and again at 6 pm. Regards the wines super choice chenges all the time the somellier even buys from ports as they travel around so each ship has is own individuality.

(I'm new to Silversea and to cruises in general.)

Are the direct rates the steepest discounts you can get or--like other cruise lines--can you do a lot better by going through the right travel agent or discounter?

Friday, thats a good question. I think it depends on which SS cruise you want to take, and whether it is already discounted quite a bit by the cruiseline.

For example, on my cruise this December it is already discounted 50% over brochure rates, and my travel agent - who books with SS all the time - was unable to get any further discount on the cabin. However - this particular travel agent is able to offer shipboard credit in the amount of $225, so that is a savings.

I do think a travel agent is the way to go when booking a cruise - that person can run interference for you, get questions answered, and possibly get shipboard credits for you. In addition, a TA can often get you a better price than what the cruiseline will offer..

icon_smile.gif

Glenda Madrid

In the UK - Airmiles discounts the net Silversea price by 7% and also gives airmiles. The 7% is only off of the cruise and not any tickets or other charges. I earned enough airmiles on the trip I just completed on Whisper for 4 London -Paris return BA tickets.

I think US residents can buy from Airmiles and they were very good for us.

Our Whisper cruise was wonderful by the way.

Archived