McKinley Creekside Cabins vs. Denali Park Hotel

lucky cal

We will spend two nights in the Denali area during our 1-week independent land tour prior to an Alaska cruise in late July 2015. We are looking for accommodations, ideally $200 per night or less and based on reviews here think we have it narrowed down to McKinley Creekside Cabins or Denali Park Hotel. We are a couple in our mid-50s who hope to spend most of our time in the Park but who would also like a pleasant, comfortable, clean place to relax in the evenings. We would also love it if we are lucky enough to view wildlife from our lodging. And we want good proximity to the Park.

For those who know these properties, which would you recommend and why? Any other good places meeting our criteria that I might have missed?

Our primary concern with the Denali Park Hotel in Healy is traffic between there and the Park, but we love the price. I know there was a good bit of construction there this summer and I'm wondering if anyone knows what roadwork might be scheduled in summer 2015?

The appeal of McKinley Creekside is that they are cabins, which just sounds like Alaska to me.

Thanks for your help!