San Juan area

LDIdeals

Will be in San Juan on a cruise stop beginning of Feb. 2015 from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. and we've been to PR a few times and have really enjoyed walking around Old San Juan. This time we'd like to venture out and see something we haven't seen before... either Arecibo Observatory, El Yunque Rainforest or something that is doable within that time frame. As long as they drive on the same side of the road as we do in U.S. I would be fine with renting a car. Any suggestions? We love natural beauty and are not lay on the beach types. Thanks in advance!

Will be in San Juan on a cruise stop beginning of Feb. 2015 from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. and we've been to PR a few times and have really enjoyed walking around Old San Juan. This time we'd like to venture out and see something we haven't seen before... either Arecibo Observatory, El Yunque Rainforest or something that is doable within that time frame. As long as they drive on the same side of the road as we do in U.S. I would be fine with renting a car. Any suggestions? We love natural beauty and are not lay on the beach types. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you would like the rain forest. I would not rent a car to do it in that time frame though. You have 8 hours, and you need time to get the car etc, traffic is horrible, even though they do drive on the same side as us, it's nothing like driving in the US. It is about an hour drive there and back and that wouldn't leave you a ton of time at the rainforest. I would want to give myself at least a 2.5 hour cushion to leave the rainforest and get the car returned and get back. I would recommend taking a tour to the rain forest If you aren't interested in the ship tours, there are plenty of private companies you could book with. :)

Get a guide,

We LOVED Hector

Found him on trip-advisor,

2 Years later saw him on Travel Channel !

Give guide your time frame,

And skip the 20 min. Movie to save time!

Get a recommend guide, and while on the road,

Grab a quick snack at a road side stand where locals eat!

So picturesque at the top!

Also as mentioned.....don't drive yourselves! Relax and enjoy the scenery..... Stop and take a picture or 2,

On the way to the rainforest.

Edited by kcdancerkc

• 2 weeks later...
We are also going to be in San Juan in January and are looking for reliable tour company....so you were pleased with Ellis tours?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

YES!! we loved Ellis. He picked up the 3 of us at our hotel promtly at 9am. He took us to the rain forest, showed us the sights and then took us to a hidden swimming hole where we swam and the fish come up and eat out of your hand. He even provided towels and bread to feed the fish. When we were done there, he took us to the kiosks for some lunch and explained what the different food items were. After lunch, he took us to the cruise ship.

We enjoyed him so much. He is friendly and knowledgable about the area. My daughter and I are spending a week in Puerto Rico next month and one of the first things we did was book another tour with him.