Kids & Teen Clubs on the Gem

allready

We are more regular cruisers on RCL, but we saw a good deal on the Norwegian Gem for March that looks really interesting. Great itinerary, the boat has gotten super reviews. My biggest hang-up about booking is the kids clubs. I have a 9 & 16 yr old who love RCL youth programs. It has been a long time since we have sailed NCL, I don't think I even had my younger one then. I can't remember our experience with the NCL kids program.

I see the NCL kids club are grouped 6-9 yrs, 10-12 yrs and then 13-17yrs. If anyone has sailed other lines, how do the NCL kids clubs compare? We have travelled Disney (my daughter hated the kids club there - all movie theme, no beach theme), MSC (they let my then 6 yr old sign himself out-YIKES), Carnival (dingy and cramped).

Can anyone give me the low down on the teen club/activities and the stuff for younger kids. I want a kids club that I have to pry my kids away from (like on RCL). Do you know if you can move a 9 1/2 yr old to the 10 yr old group? My son is way too competitive and athletic to play sports/games with 6 yr olds. Cruise we just finished had a 9-11 yr old group and that was perfect for him.

Any thoughts are appreciated. The kids program is an important consideration for our trips, not the deal breaker, but definitely makes on board life better for us.

We are more regular cruisers on RCL, but we saw a good deal on the Norwegian Gem for March that looks really interesting. Great itinerary, the boat has gotten super reviews. My biggest hang-up about booking is the kids clubs. I have a 9 & 16 yr old who love RCL youth programs. It has been a long time since we have sailed NCL, I don't think I even had my younger one then. I can't remember our experience with the NCL kids program.

I see the NCL kids club are grouped 6-9 yrs, 10-12 yrs and then 13-17yrs. If anyone has sailed other lines, how do the NCL kids clubs compare? We have travelled Disney (my daughter hated the kids club there - all movie theme, no beach theme), MSC (they let my then 6 yr old sign himself out-YIKES), Carnival (dingy and cramped).

Can anyone give me the low down on the teen club/activities and the stuff for younger kids. I want a kids club that I have to pry my kids away from (like on RCL). Do you know if you can move a 9 1/2 yr old to the 10 yr old group? My son is way too competitive and athletic to play sports/games with 6 yr olds. Cruise we just finished had a 9-11 yr old group and that was perfect for him.

Any thoughts are appreciated. The kids program is an important consideration for our trips, not the deal breaker, but definitely makes on board life better for us.

NCL is VERY strict about ages - you can move on your birthday, and not a day before. Honestly, my kids range in age from 12 - 18 (5), and what I've found is that they love the clubs when they're younger (3 - 8?), are bored from 9 - 12, and then LOVE them when they're teens (meeting and hanging with other teens). I found this on both DCL and NCL.

I have a 9 & 16 yr old who love RCL youth programs.

We will sail in March with two 15 yr old girls, a 9 year our girl and a 6 yr old boy. Perhaps we will see you!!

I see the NCL kids club are grouped 6-9 yrs, 10-12 yrs and then 13-17yrs.

Disney (my daughter hated the kids club there - all movie theme, no beach theme), MSC (they let my then 6 yr old sign himself out-YIKES), Carnival (dingy and cramped).

My 6 & 9 year old LOVED their respective clubs last March, and both are excited to return in a few months. Security is strict. There is no getting out themselves at that age, and you need your key card AND a password for each child. Not cramped or dingy. The areas are colourful, bright and quite fun looking.

Our daughter was 14 for our last cruise and also really enjoyed the Teen Club. She is quite social, made friends early on during the cruise and looked forward to seeing her friends each night (and some through the day). There were lots of Facebook addresses and Instagram account names exchanged at the end, and lots of fun onboard.

I want a kids club that I have to pry my kids away from (like on RCL).

That was our experience. For the younger ones, we'd be feeling guilty about lingering over dinner or drinks and when we went to collect them it was, "Aw, Mom!!! Can we stay for another half an hour..."

The older one was in a buddy system with a like aged girl from a family sailing in the next cabin. They came and went as they pleased BUT with a strict "no man left behind" policy. They both had a great time at the club.

• 3 weeks later...

We will be sailing with NCL for the first time in June. I am super nervous about the kids clubs. We haven't had a lot of luck with our kids. My son (now almost 12) didn't even really like the club on the Disney ships. He is more of a do his own thing kind of kid rather than a joiner. My daughter loved the Disney ships, but we had a very bad experience on a RCL cruise last spring break. I know they are both nervous about what awaits on the Gem. DS will be 12 and DD will be 8, so they will separated. How much will they be able to just go there and play without being "forced" into an activity or event?

• 2 months later...

We will be sailing with our granddaughters (age 8 and 9) on the Gem in July. How does the staff get in touch with us if the kids want to be picked up and leave the kids club? If they want to stay that is fine but I am concerned that they may want to leave the club and I would not want them to feel like prisoners there because they cannot contact us to pick them up.

We will be sailing with our granddaughters (age 8 and 9) on the Gem in July. How does the staff get in touch with us if the kids want to be picked up and leave the kids club? If they want to stay that is fine but I am concerned that they may want to leave the club and I would not want them to feel like prisoners there because they cannot contact us to pick them up.

They ask you where you will be during the time the kids are in the club... and they try that place if they need you, and then your cabin, etc. If you are a suite guest / Haven guest - you get your own phone, and they can call you.

AND they would feel like well entertained, and well-cared for prisoners... for about an hour for one night only. Not so big a deal.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc