Breakaway 12 day NYC to Caribbean - advice needed

km48753

I'm leaving on this cruise in two weeks, and I know I will have a ton of questions once I get started with my packing. I've never been on Breakaway or a 12-day, so I'm looking for any advice you may have!!

We are a family of 4 crammed into a tiny inside stateroom. :o Going from cold to warm weather, so I feel like I should pack a variety, and yet I know the storage in the room is small. I'm not sure if there is laundry on the ship.

A couple of questions that come to mind:

Do the bathroom doors on this ship accommodate the over-the-door shoe hanger things with the hooks at the top?

Does anyone know the clearance height under the bed so I can know how big of a suitcase I can stow under there?

Any other suggestions/advice you have to offer will be appreciated! TIA! :)

I'm leaving on this cruise in two weeks, and I know I will have a ton of questions once I get started with my packing. I've never been on Breakaway or a 12-day, so I'm looking for any advice you may have!!

We are a family of 4 crammed into a tiny inside stateroom. :o Going from cold to warm weather, so I feel like I should pack a variety, and yet I know the storage in the room is small. I'm not sure if there is laundry on the ship.

A couple of questions that come to mind:

Do the bathroom doors on this ship accommodate the over-the-door shoe hanger things with the hooks at the top?

Does anyone know the clearance height under the bed so I can know how big of a suitcase I can stow under there?

Any other suggestions/advice you have to offer will be appreciated! TIA! :)

oh, you are going to have fun LOL the inside cabins are really super tiny. I mean seriously tiny. But the bathroom is ok. Storage for 4 people is going to have to be living out of suitcases.

We did the 12 night in an inside cabin last year, just the 2 of us. I would do it again.

When our kids were little, we did inside cabins. Once with all of us in one, after that connecting cabins. There is so much to do on the Breakaway, you won't spend much time in your cabin. However, we are in a balcony cabin on this cruise.

No or maybe to the bathroom door thing Not sure if the door would shut. I bring stuff in ziplock bags. I've never used the over the door thing anywhere.

Yes for the luggage under the bed. - We took 2 big suitcases and they fit.

No self service laundry on ship. You can send it out, but it's pricey. At one point during the cruise they will offer a bag (paper and small) to fill with laundry for $25. (from memory last year at this time)

Yes you will certainly need a variety of clothes. jeans and sweatshirts the first 2 days. Then once you are off florida it starts to warm up, depending on the weather in florida. coming back it gets cold too the last sea day.

I can tell you the kids we saw on the breakaway seemed to always be having a really good time. The little splash water place for them looked cute.

You will be able to book stuff onboard if you have not booked shows yet.

We will be on the same cruise, come join in the roll call.

Come join our Roll Call! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1781205&page=48

This will be our first time on the BA, but there are repeat cruisers on the Roll Call who may be able to answer your questions. Plus we have a slot pull, a cabin crawl and the official meet & greet.

I always bring an over-the-door shoe holder. If it doesn't fit on the bathroom door, it might fit over the closet door. DH & I are OK if the bathroom door doesn't close all the way; I'd rather have the shoe holder (which rarely holds shoes- too much other stuff that would normally clutter the limited counter spaces).

Repeat cruisers have said that suitcases fit under the beds (you may have to lift the frame to get them under).

We're bringing a lot of clothes to layer- for the first & last days that might be cold (or for air conditiioned venues). If we park at the dock, we'll leave the really heavy clothes in the car; if we park further away, we'll just leave them in the suitcase (under the bed) for most of the cruise. Fortunately, we're driving to the ship!

See you soon! Lynn

Edited by JerseyGem

Thank you! I have never joined a roll call before, but I might head over there and check it out.

MaryZ, I know it is going to be super small. I keep telling my kids that is just our bedroom and bathroom, and the rest of the ship is our dining room, living room, balcony, and play area, and that is where all the fun is! I keep telling them how small it will be (yesterday I compared it to a crayon box, lol), so I'm hoping when they see it, it will exceed their expectations!! :p

We have done inside cabins with two kids a few times. This time it is just my understanding that these are the smallest cabins we've ever been in. On the biggest ship we've ever sailed--go figure!

We have a really large suitcase that is close to 50 pounds when full. It is not practical for the airlines any longer, but it has worked out great for our cruises. It is 9 inches high and always fits just right under the bed. I was just a little worried this time that smaller cabin might mean smaller bed, but it should be fine.

JerseyGem, I put all my toiletries and family's meds, etc in the shoe keeper. I've never even thought of putting shoes in there, lol, but maybe I will bring it along and hopefully it will fit somewhere.

Thanks again for your replies! See you soon! :) :) :)

I tried to see if I took pictures of the bathroom. I didn't. I never post pictures here so I need to figure out how to do that, I just tried but whatever I did, didn't work.

Edited by MaryZ

Get some of those battery operated tea lights to scatter around your cabin, your kids will enjoy them and they make excellent night lights. They're pretty cheap on Amazon or in the dollar store. You can also get magnetic hooks that hold a surprising amount of weight. The walls in your cabin are metal. :). Don't forget a power strip, and speaking of power, bring along some kind of supermarket discount card or the like. The lights don't go on unless you put your room card (or any other similar card ;)) in the holder by the door. When you take your room card out to leave your cabin, not only the lights, but the power supplied to the outlets goes out, so anything you may be charging won't charge. Just leave that discount card in the slot and you're good to go! Have a great trip, small cabins can be fun. Crowded, but fun! :o

• 2 weeks later...
Get some of those battery operated tea lights to scatter around your cabin, your kids will enjoy them and they make excellent night lights. They're pretty cheap on Amazon or in the dollar store. You can also get magnetic hooks that hold a surprising amount of weight. The walls in your cabin are metal. :). Don't forget a power strip, and speaking of power, bring along some kind of supermarket discount card or the like. The lights don't go on unless you put your room card (or any other similar card ;)) in the holder by the door. When you take your room card out to leave your cabin, not only the lights, but the power supplied to the outlets goes out, so anything you may be charging won't charge. Just leave that discount card in the slot and you're good to go! Have a great trip, small cabins can be fun. Crowded, but fun! :o

Great tips - Thanks!! :) :)