Is the Queen Victoria a cold ship?

Thameside

Just a read a recent review posted a couple of days ago and they mentioned that the ship was very cold on their recent back to back trip. Did anybody else encounter this problem as we are due to depart on her on January 20th and it would be a little bit of a concern at this time of the year.

The following is the review;

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=268656

Left Queen Victoria on 29th December after the 12 night Christmas Cruise. I certainly did not experience any problems with the ship's temperature. Wore usual light trousers/skirt and blouses during the day and just a light wrap if wearing sleeveless dresses in the evening.

I would agree with the review regarding disembarkation - It was a shambles. Part of the problem I think was because Q Victoria was using the old QE2 terminal and disembarking was much slower as they were using the open deck (3) to gain access to the terminal. However, the whole process was badly organised with very little communication and lack of visibility of senior officers.

That was the only negative thing I can say. We loved our first Christmas voyage and have already booked Queen Elizabeth for next Christmas and New Year. The ship was tastefully decorated and we enjoyed all the effort that was put in to make Christmas Day special for all ages!

The entertainment was mostly very good/excellent and there were some interesting speakers on board. The food was really good and the crew in all departments were fabulous and couldn't do enough for us.

Unless I became really picky I couldn't find fault with anything. We were unable to get into Lanzarote because of high winds and with the decks closed off the entertainment team had some quick thinking to do to come up with a programme - which they did in under an hour.

A very enjoyable holiday!!

We were onboard just before Christmas and heard that someone prior to our cruise had said the ship was cold. I packed a couple more cardigans but never needed them. The ship was a perfect temperature. In fact everything was perfect.

We were onboard just before Christmas and heard that someone prior to our cruise had said the ship was cold. I packed a couple more cardigans but never needed them. The ship was a perfect temperature. In fact everything was perfect.

We were on the same trip, and never had a problem with feeling cold. Agree with Maz, it was a perfect pre Christmas trip.

Just disembarked on Saturday after an enjoyable New Years trip. I do think that there are problems regulating the temperature in the Lido in cold (outside) weather as the automatic doors opening onto the pool and outer decks seem to be very sensitive and let in a lot of cold air. We were quite chilly dining in the alternative restaurant on Friday night (which was cold outside). Presumably QE has the same problem although, as I have only been on in hotter climates, it wasn't noticeable to me. Elsewhere on board no problems.

Edited by missfrankiecat

I have been on the QV in the middle of winter with no problems. I bought long-sleeved tops especially for the cruise but didn't really need them. I wear short-sleeved tops all the time at sea now. However, it can be too hot or too cold on port days. Think about it. The doors are open continually to the outside air to let passengers in and out. The air conditioning cannot deal with that amount of outside hot or cold air coming in. It always takes a few hours after we've left port until the ship returns to normal. It's a good idea to keep wearing the clothes you had on outside, until the temps return to normal.

I have been on the QV in the middle of winter with no problems. I bought long-sleeved tops especially for the cruise but didn't really need them. I wear short-sleeved tops all the time at sea now. However, it can be too hot or too cold on port days. Think about it. The doors are open continually to the outside air to let passengers in and out. The air conditioning cannot deal with that amount of outside hot or cold air coming in. It always takes a few hours after we've left port until the ship returns to normal. It's a good idea to keep wearing the clothes you had on outside, until the temps return to normal.

Having said we had no problems this does remind me that on port days with the open gangways there was often cold breezes close to those areas on a couple of decks. Not a general problem though.