Bringing A Doll?

Sundsgn

When my daughter was taking a little beanie bag sized bear with her on a cruise' date=' I made a little necklace of sorts with a tag with our cabin number just in case the bear got separated from us.

On my last couple of cruises I took along Moo Cowlatta (see my profile pic), and I made her a small size version of a Princess cabin card, putting in the cabin number and sailing date. I glued it onto a tag (you can get these at any office supply store -- for attaching to keys so you can identify its usage). The string went around her neck.[/quote']

This is an awesome idea..thank you! My dd she will be 8 in Feb. She has an anxiety disorder and she has this beloved turtle (Turtle-ee) that is missing an eye and looks like he has been through the mud a few times..he is clean..just doesn't look like it..lol. But he is very very special to her and she takes him everywhere..even to school in her back pack every day (her teacher is aware of her condition and is ok with this because he does not come out) and I know that he will be coming along on our cruise and probably even to the kids area to help her adjust. So he has to come back with us..so I am going to make him a tag just in case because losing him would be tragic to her, but leaving him at home is not an option.

DD3 brought her Bitty Twin "Nicki" on our cruise. I got nautical outfits for the two of them to wear on embarkation day on an AG sale, and it was adorable. Everyone was making a big fuss over them - the embarkation photographer got a kick out of the matching outfits :)

DD loves to bring her places and pack Nicki's things in her backpack. We make it clear that she is in charge of carrying the backpack and the doll and tell her when "Nicki" has to stay in the room/car (on the cruise she was mostly relegated to the room, but got plenty of play when we were in the room).

I think it's a good learning experience. The other day she insisted on pushing her doll around the neighborhood when we went for a walk, about 3 minutes in she was begging us to push the strolłer and we had to remind her that it was her idea and we had told her she'd have to push it the whole time. She was a little trooper, but I doubt the strolłer will be coming on anklet her long walk anytime soon ;)

I love the sail pass idea. My DD will be bringing a couple of small stuffed animals and she'll be so excited. She originally wanted to bring her 3 foot tall "Big Bear" but I talked her down. :eek:

For camping she has a plastic bin and she knows all her toys have to fit in there. For other car travel she gets a cloth bag or a small backpack. This is our first flight where we pay for each checked bag so I might be mean mom and limit her to a large ziplock of toys. She knows that smaller stuffed animals = more stuffed animals. :)

All this talk of dolls makes me very happy to travel with boys! :p

On my nephew's first cruise at age 8, he had his angel bear with him. It's a bit ratty looking, despite multiple washings, but it still went with us. I had a Funship Freddy waiting in the room for him (although he said Freddy was freaky looking, and which I wholeheartedly agree with, he is a shady looking character) and we did the Build A Bear. Our cabin steward did make sure that all the critters were tucked in, or incorporated into the evening turn down service. One night, Angel Bear was wearing my nephew's sunglasses. We are cruising again in April, and he will be 11. No more angel bear. The youngest at nearly 6 has never been one for stuffies. I'm sure he'll want to Build A Bear, which is fine with me. But as far as I'm concerned, this stuff stays in the cabin. There is so much to do on the ship that my nephew only looked at his toys from home when we were in the room. Although on this particular trip we DO have a 20 hour train journey before the cruise (don't ask! :rolleyes: ), so I know we will be packing a few more toys/ activities than usual. I actually bought something called Scratch n Sketch books for them to try.

• 2 months later...

Freddy very freaky. My 6 year old grandson will have his 6 year old Mickey with him. Cabin critters fun and usable when need extra towel. Otherwise we travel very light. Hand wash all necessary items. We always bring clothes pins as other Carnival ships have cords in shower for hanging to dry. I have never been on Legend, but assume same.

• 2 weeks later...

My girls each have a small rolling suitcase that is theirs to pack. I pack the important stuff, and they really enjoy loading their bags with toys, games, etc. They do indeed use them during short periods of downtime in the cabin and before bed. We are usually accompanied to breakfast on the lido deck by a couple of dinosaurs or something. They are 6 years old, and will take their fifth cruise in July. It's always worked out very well for us . The only issue I've had is that they always want to take their toys to the kids club, which is a no-no.

Our cabin steward was awesome about the extra toys. He would surprise my daughter with various doll poses or tuck the doll under her blanket at turndown. He always left my son's stuffed animal in a special spot too. They loved it and would giggle with each different surprise. It was such a fun trip for all of us that we are doing it again!