What to do in Lahaina for the day??

Kiwi_cruiser

The last time we went to Lahaina, Hawaii, we did a ships shore tour, which was great!!, we got to snorkel with the turtles etc..

We are now going back to Lahaina on the Queen Elizabeth, and I thought about doing a shore tour with the ship again, but I was having a look at the prices of the tours, but they are too experience for us! :eek:

so I was wondering has anyone done a private tours in Lahaina before??, if so any tour company's you would recommend?

We would like to go snorkelling again :)

Any ideas / suggestions are welcome.

For our three Hawaiian cruises, we did a snorkeling excursion booked through Princess, and it actually ended being a whale watch too (this was in December, but I think there will still be plenty of whales in February). One reason we booked through Princess is that the private morning excursions left pretty early. And without any priority for the tenders (which we had for the ship-booked one), I felt it was too risky. And I've read, it's best to go snorkeling around there in the morning as opposed to the afternoon.

Our second time, my hubby had decided let's go without excursions (which is how we usually roll for most cruises anyway). Our girl, who was 13 then, wanted to have some say in what we did, so I gave her the brochures I still had from the previous cruise. For Lahaina, she selected seeing the famous dojo there (biggest Buddha and bell apparently east of Japan). We took the bus (you catch it behind the Wharf Cinema Center) up to the Cannery Mall and then walked to the dojo. Then we returned to the mall and enjoyed time there.

Last cruise, we were there on Christmas Day. I did a little research and found out Whalers Village, which I've never been to before, was going to be open. Instead of the bus (which we found overcrowded on the previous trip), we got a taxi to Ka'anapali Beach. Most of the mall, included one restaurant and several stores, was open, but not the museum there.

Anyone who wants to just beach it that port, may want to go to that beach.

There are some other attractions probably not too far from the port that you can drive to (one rule of hubby is no renting of cars while on a cruise).

For the OP, you can google Lahaina and you should be able to find plenty of tourism sites that can point you to some snorkeling companies. Just make sure of the cancellation policy just in case your captain decides against tendering there.

Teralani and Gemini are two companies that do catamaran snorkelling trips - both have departures at 11 a.m. from Kaanapali (a few miles north of Lahaina) and both companies are highly recommended on the Maui Tripadvisor forum (you could take a taxi from Lahaina for about $12.- $15. each way.) Trilogy is another one, but I don't think they have departure times that will work with your time in port.

For other suggestions, ask on the Maui Tripadvisor forum for recommendations for snorkel trips out of Lahaina - but be sure to include what hours you'll be in port (factoring in the time that you'll need for tendering.)

Renting a car and heading to areas that have good shore snorkelling is another option ... but will you have your own snorkel equipment?

Edited by Susan-M

We did The Road to Hana, an excellent tour, booked it through Royal Caribbean. but the tour operator was actually Polynesian Adventure Tours....guide was Bruce. Best tour I've ever had, and I've been to Hawaii 3 times. Depends on how long your ship is in. You'd want to do it with the ship if it is offered. Its a long tour, and if your bus breaks down you could miss your ship, I'd stick with Cunard if they are offering it. It is truly a spectacular tour.

The OP is asking about things to do in Lahaina and I'm in the same boat. We are coordinating a group of parents in their 70's and one set is thinking of just cruising around Lahaina instead of an excursion. My only port experience in Maui was on NCL and I believed it ported in Kahului, Maui which is more industrial. In Lahaina, with Princess we tender in but are there areas to just wander and enjoy??? No offense to tag along on the OP's post but I think we are all looking for things to do in or our of Lahaina.

Any help, so appreciated. My DW and I are going hiking and swimming in the Ho'olawa Valley.

you can just walk around the adorable town of Lahaina, there is also a Sugarcane Train you can take, and a mall in Lahaina. Lahaina was at one time a whaling village, and has tried to retain some of its old charm. Lots of shops and places to eat, beautiful park with huge banyan tree, great place to take photos.

I would much rather be in Lahaina than Kahalui.

Mahalo

you can just walk around the adorable town of Lahaina, there is also a Sugarcane Train you can take, and a mall in Lahaina. Lahaina was at one time a whaling village, and has tried to retain some of its old charm. Lots of shops and places to eat, beautiful park with huge banyan tree, great place to take photos.

I would much rather be in Lahaina than Kahalui.

Mahalo

The Sugar Cane train closed its operations last summer, but the new owner may renovate it and return it to operation sometime this year, according to some recent articles.

Capt. Johnny - It sounds like you and your wife are doing a Princess excursion to Ho'olawa Valley? That's something that's easily done on your own with a rental vehicle. The hike is quite short and I think swimming there could be a concern due to the risk of Leptospirosis in fresh water pools and streams in Hawaii.

How many are in your group in total? I'd consider renting a vehicle or two and visiting some of the scenic areas in W. Maui and stop at a couple of beaches there. You could spend time in Lahaina after exploring. Lahaina is interesting for 2-3 hours, but to spend a whole day there might make for a long day.

Capt. Johnny - It sounds like you and your wife are doing a Princess excursion to Ho'olawa Valley? That's something that's easily done on your own with a rental vehicle. The hike is quite short and I think swimming there could be a concern due to the risk of Leptospirosis in fresh water pools and streams in Hawaii.

How many are in your group in total? I'd consider renting a vehicle or two and visiting some of the scenic areas in W. Maui and stop at a couple of beaches there. You could spend time in Lahaina after exploring. Lahaina is interesting for 2-3 hours, but to spend a whole day there might make for a long day.

:eek:Wow, Susan thanks for all the info, we will have to rethink this.....

:eek:Wow, Susan thanks for all the info, we will have to rethink this.....

You're welcome:) Maui has a lot of great scenery ... if this is the only time that the parents will be there, it would be great if they could see some of the sights. Vehicle rentals are reasonably priced, and driving is easy. For example, this drive with stops along the way would provide spectacular scenery and a memorable day! But there are other places that are easy to drive to as well ... e.g. Iao Valley.

• 2 weeks later...
You're welcome:) Maui has a lot of great scenery ... if this is the only time that the parents will be there, it would be great if they could see some of the sights. Vehicle rentals are reasonably priced, and driving is easy. For example, this drive with stops along the way would provide spectacular scenery and a memorable day! But there are other places that are easy to drive to as well ... e.g. Iao Valley.

Doe anyone know what rental car companies are close to where we tender in Lahaina?

Thanks

Whoever is supplying you with information needs to provide more!:)

That's the cruise line Cunard, that is giving us that info!

Wouldn't your itinerary info have the scheduled times?

That is from our itinerary info :)

Apparently Cunard does not give port times....:rolleyes: :(

That's the cruise line Cunard, that is giving us that info!

That is from our itinerary info :)

Apparently Cunard does not give port times....:rolleyes: :(

Wow. I would think even those going out into the port would want to know how much time they have for planning purposes. Even on your itinerary for your specific sailing, the expected docking/anchor and sailaway times should be listed on your receipt.

Perhaps it's Cunard's strategy for encouraging people to book their excursions ... if you don't tell the client what the port arrival/departure times are, it will make it more difficult to do DIY exploring in ports. I had a look on their website, and sure enough, they list arrival and departure times as early morning, late afternoon, etc. :confused: