Getaway vs RCL Freedom - help!

siestaclaud

Just back from a NYE sailing on the Freedom - ugh. I wrote a pretty terrible review. Most of my disappointment stemmed from the condition of the ship, the massive amounts of people, and lack of service from the crew. The sailing was fine, food was ok, and ports and entertainment good. There were 9 of us. 7 underage "adult/teens" and me and my husband. Help me get excited again for our upcoming Aug 8 trip on the Getaway. There will be 15 of us. 10 adults and 5 under age teens = fun family time, and no formal nights = less luggage! :) Anyone out there have experience with both Freedom and Getaway I would appreciate your opinions on the differences and what I can positively focus on for the next 7 months! Thanks! We only sail aft balcony so I can focus on that positive for sure!:D

Oh and that should say RCI not RCL up in there - too late to edit.

Edited by siestaclaud

Act balcony on the Getaway was ahhhh-mazing!! We sailed in 9918 & 9920 and the balconies were even bigger than I expected.

We have sailed both ships and would sail the Getaway again in a heartbeat before we would sail FOS. Don't get me wrong we enjoyed FOS but prefer NCL for a few reasons (freestyle, water slides, and the children's activities, spongebob lol).

Let me know if there's any specific questions you might have.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks 3D Beach - I guess I am hoping for more "service with a smile" and maybe a few spots to escape from the masses. FOS crew was tired and crabby - we heard from several of them about the dry dock and how they were being forced to work without a salary. Probably the reason they were all so upset. It was difficult to find anyplace without crowds and REALLY loud music playing always. I cant wait for the piano bar on Getaway and the shows, but would like to have some quiet time too. Was it difficult to find seating in the bars/clubs in the evenings? My inlaws are staying in the Haven for their second time and I am jealous. We are taking 7 older teens and cant swing paying for 3 haven cabins so the aft will do!