spcl4cs gal & others on the Z

rocks

Hi Alison & other Z cruisers!

Hope you guys got to sail on the 'calm behind the storm' and fully enjoyed your 7 days on the Z.

After you get your 'land-legs' back I hope you will fill us in on the highlights of your trip.

WELCOME HOME!

rocks

I was on the Z last year during one of the hurricanes and Port Everglades was shut down Friday as we were returning for disembarkation on Saturday. Friday night the Captain came on and said we would not be able to return to Florida until Monday AM. He promised us "calm seas and sunny skies" and we sat a few miles off the coast of Cuba for the next couple of days with about 10 other ships.

I was on the Z last year during one of the hurricanes and Port Everglades was shut down Friday as we were returning for disembarkation on Saturday. Friday night the Captain came on and said we would not be able to return to Florida until Monday AM. He promised us "calm seas and sunny skies" and we sat a few miles off the coast of Cuba for the next couple of days with about 10 other ships.

I've always wanted to know--what happens with food service when you're stuck at sea for a few extra days? Was it just sort of a grab-bag of whatever was left, or had they stored enough to serve the "usual" meal for that day of the week (e.g. you're stuck at sea on Sunday, and they offer the same Sunday menu they always do)?

We were probably on the same cruise then. This was at the end of August? I was doing a b2b, so I wasn't scheduled to get off until September 11 anyway. It was nice because I didn't have to deal with all the airline mess that resulted by the cruise being extended, and I also got a bunch of nice onboard credits to "compensate" me for the shortened cruise of the following week.

Hope you opted to take advantage of those great deals to stay onboard. That ship was like a private yacht the next week ... only about 800 passengers onboard! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I've always wanted to know--what happens with food service when you're stuck at sea for a few extra days? Was it just sort of a grab-bag of whatever was left, or had they stored enough to serve the "usual" meal for that day of the week (e.g. you're stuck at sea on Sunday, and they offer the same Sunday menu they always do)?

I don't remember if they started over with the exact same menus, but we ran out of lettuce and olives. That was it! They actually planned a schedule overnight and we had a new itinerary schedule at our doors first thing the next morning. There was a "hurricane tour"...it came to be known as this because this was the third week last year this had happened. It was very interesting. We got to go down to the food storage areas and tour all that area. Under normal circumstances, these areas are too crowded with food, alcohol, and other supplies to offer this tour. I was amazed at how much stuff was still on board! To an amateur like me, it looked like we could have stayed on board at least another week without anyone running out of food. It was fascinating. We saw where the crew eats, some of their living quarters, where all the trash is taken and compacted and stored until it can be disposed of, etc. Very enlightening.

They scheduled pool games, contests involving passengers and cruise staff, the entertainers on board did extra performances, etc. Not to wish a hurricane on anyone, but HAL was very well prepared and it was a wonderful two extra days. You don't get charged anything extra...not even tips. I tipped the guys extra just because but it wasn't added onto your bill.

Thanks Rocks and CQ...just sitting in the Ft Lauderdale airport waiting for my flight this evening and wishing I was still onboard. We got into Port Everglades late today due to a power outage caused by Katrina. It was interesting seeing all the ships lined up waiting to dock. The Caribbean Princess looked like she was dead in the water! HAL started disembarkation around 10:15 and the last group of PAX (mine) got off the ship around 11:30...almost in time for lunch in the Lido. :) We were following Katrina all the way to FLL from St Thomas and, with the exception of one rough night, things weren't too bad. No extra days at sea however. :(

I promise to write after I get home and make up with my kitties that I left to a sitter for the week. I can just feel their cold shoulders now as I write. ;)

Archived