Live from the Jewel - lap pool

swmrgrl

Today is our olast day in St Petersburg. FYI all those who want to know about the pools. On deck 12 there are 2 pools. One is for kids and the other is adults only. The adult pool is warm; approx 12 meters; salt - it tastes gross; there isn't a solid wall for the first 1 1/2 feet but has 4 plastic type tubes to hold onto. This is not the greatest if you plan to push off from the wall with your feet. I continually missed the tubes and my feet slipped inbetween. For those who are serious swimmers it takes me 5 breastroke pulls to hit an end, and 8 arm strokes for freestyle. There is a waterfall that falls runs at the end. Sometimes it is on, othertimes I think they forget to turn it on. Most of the people who use this pool are recreational swimmers who might swim a few laps. I can see this pool, anda the hot tubs from my living room window.

One hot tub by the kids pool, and 21 adult hot tubs by the adult pool.

From my view kids love the water slide and it is a huge hit.

The small courtyard pool is very, very small. It has a jet on the one end. This pool has a temp which is almost identical to the hot tub in the courtyard. I though it might have a current so I turned on the jet. I started from the middle of the pool and hit the end in one arm stroke. My conclusion is this is a plunge pool, although it should be much colder if this is the case.

This is a chlorinated pool.

I swam only once for about 10 min and then got out. I was getting a bit frustrated with having to constantly turn after a few strokes.

I went back to my room and soaked in our own hut tub. It was nice.

Maybe, one day NCL will take the adult pool and convert it to a pool with a current. I think there is a demand for this onboard.

I'm using a laptop and my typing is terrible. It should only be 2 adult hot tubs, not 21.

swmrgr, thank you for posting! We are booked on the Jewel for Christmas of 2006 in one of the Courtyard Villas, 14508. Is it worth the extra money? I understand it is a very small area. How many cabins have access to that area? Does it look like a zoo? Are you staying in one of the Courtyard Villas? Please come back with more info, love to read your review. Enjoy your cruise!

Leticia.

We are in a courtyard Villa in October and I was wondering what that canopied area at the end of the pool is used for? Do you think it necessary and would a longer pool have been more practical in that space. Look forward to your comments.

SWMRGRL: I've been on the Norwegian Star and the Norwegian Dawn and they both have a lap pool in the SPA area at the back of the ship. Since Norwegian Jewel is apparently in the same class as the other two, isn't there a lap pool in the SPA also:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back home now from our cruise and wasn't able to keep posting while onboard. It does get expensive.

There is no lap pool in the Spa even though it indicates it in their literature. The lap pool in the Spa is like a bathtub, very warm, and is used specifically for stretching. Apparently "lap pool" is also a Spa term according to the staff.

The only pool you can consider for swimming laps is the outdoor Saphire Adult pool. It's about 10 - 12 1/2 metres long and is salt water. If your cabin is on the 14th floor, you can use the small pool there. It has a current, but it isn't strong enough if you plan to use it for resistance.

The canopied area contains beds for relaxing.

Archived