La spezia

ThePriceO'Mince

Good Morning,

I will be in La Spezia later this year onboard the MSC Divina. We arrive at 8am and depart at 2am and I would like to go to Florence but Im feeling kind of nervous about organising things because I can't find out when I would have to be back at the ship. Does anyone have an idea. Ive cruised before but have never done a stop like this before.

I kind of have day planned in my head but something is telling me I could do Florence independently, that I dont need a private tour. Would anyone agree with this?

I really just want to get off the ship and get to Florence as quickly as I can, be dropped off by the transfer company ( ideas would be welcome) have a wander, see David, and then have a really good wander for as long as I can.

There is a walking tour I can join after seeing David, but something is telling me - give it a go on your own.

Any advice would be much appreciated - especially an idea of when I would have to be back on board.

Thank you

Piece of cake . But you do it by train and save heaps . Based on arriving 0800 and you would need to be back on board by 2300 but no worries.

La Spezia Centrale Station is 30 minutes walk from berth, but take a taxi and there is a train from La Spezia to Firenze SMN at 10.06am . La Spezia dep 1006 Pisa Centrale arr 1056 Change trains dep 1112 Firenze SMN arr Noon . Return Firenze SMN dep 1728 Pisa Centrale arr 1828 Change trains depart 1903 La Spezia Centrale arr 1952.

Firenze is very compact and a great walking city . Within easy walking distance of Firenze SMN station - Duomo, Baptistry, Academia, Ufizzi Gallery, Ponte Vecchio, Leather Market, Pitti Palace, Boboli gardens .

To maximize your sightseeing time pre book your admissions and avoid queues by booking on line through tickitaly website .

[quote=ThePriceO'Mince;45485830]Kuldalai, Thank you so much for your help. You've given me the confidence to go it alone and take the train.

Regards
Sharon[/quote]

Just check your train times on Trenitalia website before you leave home. Basically hourly frequency . If you are really adventurous with that time range you could braek your return trip at Pisa and do the Leaning Tower. Allow 3 hours arrive to depart . Taxi station to Field of Miracles (10minutes). Pre book admissions from 3 months in advance to LT on LT official website date and time specific . Then you just rock up at your ticket time and you are straight in .
opapisa.it/en/plan-your-visit/ticket-office.html

Firenze admissions tickitaly.com select firenze Edited by kuldalai

[quote name='kuldalai']Just check your train times on Trenitalia website before you leave home. Basically hourly frequency . If you are really adventurous with that time range you could braek your return trip at Pisa and do the Leaning Tower. Allow 3 hours arrive to depart . Taxi station to Field of Miracles (10minutes). Pre book admissions from 3 months in advance to LT on LT official website date and time specific . Then you just rock up at your ticket time and you are straight in .
opapisa.it/en/plan-your-visit/ticket-office.html

Firenze admissions tickitaly.com select firenze[/QUOTE]

If you have minimal time, you do not need to book a ticket for the tower unless you want to climb it. Trying to pinpoint your arrival time might be difficult. It's very impressive just to see it!!

Thank you, :)

Ive been playing around on various websites and now have myself sorted thanks to the help given here. My brother is also really pleased Im doing my shore day by train because he was rather worried about me going off on my own even with a reputable transfer company. Im sheepishly swinging between thinking he's daft, and thinking he may just have had a point.

You've both mentioned Pisa and I'll admit to never having wanted to see it, but there is the argument that as Im going to be passing by - I perhaps should.

Ive looked over street maps of Florence and I've pinpointed 2 things I want to do on the day, the Duomo, David, then a wee wander round the streets up to the Michaelangelo Plaza then back to the train station. It may not sound like a lot to cover in 6 hours but I'll be able to get a lot out of it and I fully intend to go back one day for a Florence based holiday.

Im really excited about my trip, all of it. :)

[quote=ThePriceO'Mince;45497592]Thank you, :)

Ive been playing around on various websites and now have myself sorted thanks to the help given here. My brother is also really pleased Im doing my shore day by train because he was rather worried about me going off on my own even with a reputable transfer company. Im sheepishly swinging between thinking he's daft, and thinking he may just have had a point.

You've both mentioned Pisa and I'll admit to never having wanted to see it, but there is the argument that as Im going to be passing by - I perhaps should.

Ive looked over street maps of Florence and I've pinpointed 2 things I want to do on the day, the Duomo, David, then a wee wander round the streets up to the Michaelangelo Plaza then back to the train station. It may not sound like a lot to cover in 6 hours but I'll be able to get a lot out of it and I fully intend to go back one day for a Florence based holiday.

Im really excited about my trip, all of it. :)[/quote]

If that is all you want to see in Firenze Duomo & Academia then that will only take 3 hours max . Recommend you also visit the Baptistry an octagonal building in front of the Duomo with Berninis famous carved brass doors, all eight sets of them - magnificent . No visit to Firenze is complete without a visit to the Uffizzi gallery arguably home to the worlds greatest art treasures - just mind blowing . Pisa you should include a visit to the Field of Miracles. LT Tower admissions are strictly pre booked in 15 minute time increments. Quite something to stand atop the leaning tower . Allow 75 minutes from train arrival to book admission, plus 30 minutes in the tower .

Hi there and thank you,

Ah yes, the Baptistry, I forgot to mention in earlier.

The Uffizi Gallery - Im torn between that and David because I just can't bring myself to whizz through a Gallery like the Uffizi. And I fully intend to go back to Florence for a land based holiday - this day trip really is just for starters. But what do you think, The Uffizi or David on the day? I also want to just wander on the day, as well as visit a specific pottery shop.

The trains Ive got sorted in my head and Im just resisting the temptation to book the seats as of now.

Pisa I will give a miss even though you've both made it sound very tempting. There's just something about it that puts me off and I can't explain it.

Thank you for all the help :)

Florence is a very compact and easily walked city even from SMN station . It does not have to be a choice of one or other . Academia the big draw is David so you can do that in an hour, then its 30 minutes walk to the Uffizzi which is stunning and allow say 2 - 3 hours there .

If you are intent on only doing one then I would make it the Uffizi if you are into paintings, or Academia if you are into sculptures .

Maximize your sightseeing time and avoid standing in queues for hours by pre booking your admissions to both Academia and Ufizzi via tickitaly website. Bookings are date and time specific .