Please help me with the details

Hi, first time travelers to London and Amsterdam. Booked a HAL cruise that leaves Rotterdam in April, but was going to add 3 days in london prior to going to amsterdam allowing 2 days in amsterdam before cruise leaves. I am stressing about the details of it all, and confused. Just cancelled our hotel that I booked in city of london at the apex. Looked like a great hotel, but after reading all the comments about how far out that area was from Heathrow, decided to look for a more suitable area. I am seeing that Earls court or Kensington would be better for getting to from Heathrow. Am I correct on that? Also, I see that traveling with a suitcase each and a carry on, may be too much luggage, but the cruise is 25 days and adding another week onto that; means a need for more clothes, even if I do laundry on the ship part way through. My question is: Is there enough time to board the tube, or train with the luggage, or do the doors close quickly as in some other cities, where you could get trapped part way in the door? It looks like it is cheaper to buy tickets ahead of time on the internet, is that true, and do you have to select a specific time to do that. I am not sure how long it takes to get through security and get the bags once arrived at Heathrow. I also have a question about buying a London pass, vs just getting some of the 2 for 1 deals that I have read you can get with buying a train ticket. Is that discount common and offered pretty much all the time? Then the detail of the best way to get to Amsterdam has me baffled too. I can buy a one plane ticket for each way ticket for about $99 pp, but was thinking the train would be more interesting. Any advice is greatly appreciated also on transport from Amsterdam airport area hotel to the boat dock in Rotterdam. Thanks

Either fly or take a ferry and then the train. Its seems like a lot of hassle though. Beware, the cheap airfares might be via a "low-cost" airline such as Ryanair and you will have to pay for luggage and if you are carrying a lot it might be quite expensive.

Make packing easy on yourself, coordinate your colors! Tops and bottoms can be worn more than once. Have one simple 'formal' outfit (black skirt) and switch out a top or add a scarf and you have enough without taking up a lot of space Pare down your shoes, 1 good walking pair and one simple dress pair or sandals that will go with everything.

As to how fast the doors close on the tube, they won't shut on you if you are carrying your suitcases on as you enter the door. I wouldn't think of trying to shove one in as you are on the platform and grabbing for the next one. Some tube trains can be awfully crowded.

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Getting to London on the tube is pretty easy, but there are a number of choices. You would be well advised to look for a hotel that is easy to get to. Whether you can handle your luggage depends on you. We have carry-ons that convert to backpacks but I have seen people dragging two rollers on without too much trouble.

This site has a vast amount of information and is well worth a read ..http://www.londontoolkit.com/mnu/london_airports_heathrow.html.

To see how easy or otherwise a station is to navigate (some have stairs with no lift or escalator) - have a look here. You enter 'station' in the 'search for a' box and the name of the station - ie Gloucester road' in the other. http://www.directenquiries.com/default.aspx?tbclr=1

To get to Amsterdam from London, you can fly or use Eurostar to Brussels and then Thalys to Amsterdam. If you buy a through ticket now - you can get some good bargains in April - prices go up nearer the day. The problem with flying is that you have to get to the airport first - Eurostar leaves from St Pancras Station and Amsterdam Centraal is handy for the city centre. The train is a lot more interesting than flying, but you do have to handle your own luggage.

Remember - planning is half the fun of a holiday but you do need to get booking soon to get the best prices.

Edit: You might also like to read this thread http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2158245

Edited by Bob++

Thank you both for your advice. I think we have decided it too much frustration to do both London and Amsterdam on this particular trip and will save London for another time when we can catch a cruise specifically out of the London area. We will add an extra day or 2 to Amsterdam instead and just really visit that area. Tulips and gardens should be in bloom, and that way we won't be cutting those sites short.

:rolleyes: