AK...Butchart Gardens excursion

angelmomma530

We are traveling to AK in Aug on Ruby Princess. Our last port is Victoria, BC. It is an evening port 7pm-mid. I really would like to visit Butchart Gardens. What time does it start getting dark there in Aug? I have seen pics and its beautiful at dusk and evening + fireworks, etc but would like to see the flowers in the light also. Basically, is it worth it?

We are traveling to AK in Aug on Ruby Princess. Our last port is Victoria, BC. It is an evening port 7pm-mid. I really would like to visit Butchart Gardens. What time does it start getting dark there in Aug? I have seen pics and its beautiful at dusk and evening + fireworks, etc but would like to see the flowers in the light also. Basically, is it worth it?

I had a friend who took this excursion last September on her cruise to Alaska. She says there was a lot of people upset that because it was dark outside she and the others said that they could not see much of the gardens in the dark.

I have been on the evening shore excursion, many times. The gardens are beautifully illuminated, once it gets dark. Go for sure!

It is a great experience.

It get dark late in early August, but much earlier in late August.

No matter! I have enjoyed it at all times.

Sunset is at about 9pm in early august and 8pm by the end of august. Desk lingers awhile though. Dusk and early evening is a beautiful time to see the garden/lights.

Official sunset time is 8:29pm on August 15th in Vancouver/Victoria. http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/vancouver?month=8&year=2015

Twilight will go until 9pm on that day.

For a ships arriving at 7pm

• I guess you won't be getting on the bus until 7:30pm.
  • You arrive at the gardens at 8pm (30 min drive to Brentwood Bay). In daylight, I typically want 2 hours there. If the ship is delayed.... you will be getting to the gardens there with even less sunlight. If you are walking under a tree canopy, there is even less light.
  • Fireworks is only available on Saturdays. http://www.butchartgardens.com/activities/fireworks

Depending on WHEN in August, you'll have at least an hour of daylight at the Gardens.

If this is a one-and-only trip, another option is to leave the ship in Victoria, overnight at a hotel, visit Butchart in the morning, then take the Victoria Clipper to Seattle late afternoon. Just be sure to let the crew know of your plans.