UBP on the Getaway. How does it work?

packetloss

Hi everyone,

We will be on the Norwegian Getaway and thinking of purchasing the ultimate beverage package. I have done a lot of reading and have a decent understanding on what is included and what isn't.

I have a few questions hoping to get some clarity on.

When purchasing the UBP, this is something I am interested in as I like to enjoy a drink here and there especially a cold beer on a hot day however my wife is not a drinker at all.

1) Are we both required to purchase this plan or can I purchase for my self? I read somewhere not sure if its an old thread or not but it mentioned that both need to purchase it, basically an all or nothing. Not sure if this info is current or not

2) For drinks that exceed the cost of the value that is included, am I charged full pop for that drink or do I just pay the difference if I have the package?

3) When ordering a drink, how does it work? Do they swipe a card or do you just show them something? Example if my wife goes to get her self a soda and wants to get me a mixed drink, is this possible? Can she take my card or whatever is used to purchase the drink? Or do I have to physically go and get the drink each time my self? Am I the only person that can get it or can she get me a drink anytime?

4) I understand the gratuity is already included, do I need to sign something each time I get a drink as part of the package or do they just serve the drink and go to the next customer?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to prepare our selves, as we will travelling as a family and things can get busy with the kids. Just want to be prepared to see if its worth while.

Thank you to all those who reply!

Hi everyone,

We will be on the Norwegian Getaway and thinking of purchasing the ultimate beverage package. I have done a lot of reading and have a decent understanding on what is included and what isn't.

I have a few questions hoping to get some clarity on.

When purchasing the UBP, this is something I am interested in as I like to enjoy a drink here and there especially a cold beer on a hot day however my wife is not a drinker at all.

1) Are we both required to purchase this plan or can I purchase for my self? I read somewhere not sure if its an old thread or not but it mentioned that both need to purchase it, basically an all or nothing. Not sure if this info is current or not

2) For drinks that exceed the cost of the value that is included, am I charged full pop for that drink or do I just pay the difference if I have the package?

3) When ordering a drink, how does it work? Do they swipe a card or do you just show them something? Example if my wife goes to get her self a soda and wants to get me a mixed drink, is this possible? Can she take my card or whatever is used to purchase the drink? Or do I have to physically go and get the drink each time my self? Am I the only person that can get it or can she get me a drink anytime?

4) I understand the gratuity is already included, do I need to sign something each time I get a drink as part of the package or do they just serve the drink and go to the next customer?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to prepare our selves, as we will travelling as a family and things can get busy with the kids. Just want to be prepared to see if its worth while.

Thank you to all those who reply!

1) Yes you both must buy it. Everyone in the room that is 21+ has to buy it.

2) The limit is $10. You will be very very hard pressed to find anything above that. If you ask for something that is not included they will tell you. You would have to pay the full price of the drink.

3) You have to get your drinks. If she was just getting a soda she would also have the package and could get a drink on her card for you. If you get to know a bartender eventually she could bring both cards to them and they would probably give her two drinks. They swipe the card each time and you get a $0.00 bill.

4) While we have had some mixed results here you typically still have to sign for the drinks. They have a line for additional tip so I think that is why they ask you to sign.

6&8

Edited by sixesandeights

Thank you for your reply. Since we are a family we have 2 rooms and each adult is booked with a child in a room. Does that mean the other child has to purchase the soda package? Will my wife be forced to buy the UBP if I buy it from a different room?

Yes, it's my understanding if you're all traveling together, all adults would need to purchase the UBP and you would need to purchase a soda package for any kids over 3.

It might work out for you financially to carry on a few soda packs and buy your alcohol here and there. The UBP for 2 adults on a 7 day cruise is about $870 after gratuity. Factor in the soda packages for the kids, if they drink it or not, and that quite a bit of money if most of your group won't utilize it.

The last cruise I took, we had 2 balconies for 2 adults, 3 kids. We didn't buy the packages, just bought our occasional cocktail and brought on a 24 pack of coke and two packs of gatorades. It was plenty for all of us.

The drinks are free but you have to pay a 15% gratuity for each drink ordered, is that correct?

If you buy the UBP, the 15% gratuity is added on to the purchase price when you pay up front. If it's part of the promo, it's included. You have the option to add a larger tip when they have you sign the slip at the bar. We would do that on occasion to encourage speedy service. Although, most bartenders are pretty good, so it isn't necessary.

Isn't it per room that a package has to be purchased if another one is in it? So, with two rooms purchased, and one ubp only the soda one needs to be if a child is over three? Or, have I read all the threads wrong?

If you're traveling together in adjoining rooms, it is as if you are one room. I'd have to search out the exact wording but it the T&C says any traveling companions. So, yes, if the OP, his wife, and their children, even if divided into two rooms, would all be required to purchase the packages. Possibly, the way around this would be to have them as two completely separate reservations, but I know when I recently traveled with the family in two rooms, there were 2 reservation numbers, and still, it would have been required.

Hmm! I wonder how that works for the studios. I am in one, with an adjoining door to another studio with a friend. I intend to get the package, yet she doesn't. We obviously booked independently.

That is an interesting question. It does say reservations made with same form of payment, so if she booked and paid for her cabin with a separate credit card, I would think you should be ok.

There is a special now where it is being offered for free. If you are already booked, you might want to look into rebooking, if it would be less than the cost you paid + price of UBP would be. That depends on whether or not you are past your final payment date though.

There is a special now where it is being offered for free. If you are already booked, you might want to look into rebooking, if it would be less than the cost you paid + price of UBP would be. That depends on whether or not you are past your final payment date though.

Definitely look at rebooking if possible even if you need to upgrade from an inside to an outside cabin. It would be worth the cost.