Time to get organized HAL

1of4

We have never understand those that complain but then continue to complete their booking. If you are not satisfied look elsewhere. In our case we are very unhappy with the HAL balcony smoking policy so decided to cancel an expensive booking and not consider any future bookings. It is called "voting with your dollars" and that is a language that most businesses understand.

Hank

The final payment was January 26 and the cruise is in just over 6 weeks. We booked Dec.4 2013, well over a year in advance as we require a quad cabin. We have many considerations to make a family vacation work. I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, rather voicing frustration that we did exactly as we were told and still HAL did not assign dining on our e-docs. We bought the Platinum insurance so that is why we could cancel. But when we consider the flights, the hotels, the arrangements made with multiple teachers for 2 children and vacation time booked at 2 workplaces over 14 months ago cancelling is not that easy.

It will work fine. Once they know what size table you need and what time you usually show up, just ask for a reservation. We've had luck with open dining. Only once was there a problem when we had a lot of families who wanted to eat early.

Another trick is to go to the open dining deck about 15 minutes into fixed seating and if there is no table ask them to check with fixed for people who are elsewhere for the evening. You need to be calm, but firm for this one.

It will work fine. Once they know what size table you need and what time you usually show up, just ask for a reservation. We've had luck with open dining. Only once was there a problem when we had a lot of families who wanted to eat early.

Another trick is to go to the open dining deck about 15 minutes into fixed seating and if there is no table ask them to check with fixed for people who are elsewhere for the evening. You need to be calm, but firm for this one.

We booked the Voyage of the Vikings cruise starting July 25 2015, when we were onboard a HAL ship in mid-August 2014. When we made our reservation, we were waitlisted for early fixed seating and given anytime dining. After we returned from the cruise, I called and was told because it is a popular cruise that fixed dining filled early. I asked about where we were on the waitlist and wasn't given a definitive answer. I was told to call once final payments were made. I'll do that but I'm not optimistic. I think HAL has significantly reduced the numbers of tables for fixed dining and wouldn't be surprised if they eliminate fixed dining all together at some point. I think they must have determined that it is more cost-effective to do any time dining only.

We like to sit at a table for two and eat early. So, based on reading the posts on this board, we will endeavor to make a reservation for around 6-6:15 every night in hopes of getting what we want. One of the posts said that they will only take reservations for early or late slots and that during the "prime time" after 6:15 or so and before 7:30, that it can get quite busy and waiting is common unless you are willing to be seated with a group. We won't be amused if we can't make a reservation or can only be seated with a group.

But, we're willing to give open dining a chance and we'll see how things turn out.

We have more than half the time be wait listed for fixed dining, but have ALWAYS gotten what we wanted. Out travel agent has taken care of it for us once we are less than 6 months from the cruise.

We prefer fixed dining, but on one long cruise we elected to switch to open dining half way through a 2 month cruise. We had great success with the open dining option and for each cruise since we have debated which to request - open (2 times) or fixed (usually). I can be happy with either one - advantages to both from our perspective.