Favorite Captains Corner questions?

LMaxwell

To put more of an upbeat spin off of the worst captains corner questions thread, what are some of the best questions you have heard? What are some of your "go to" questions that you like to ask? What is some of the best responses you have heard?

I like to ask the staff present what is their most favorite port of call they have visited. Always a unique response/story from each person.

I like to hear their history; how they got involved in the industry and their career path leading up to becoming Captain.

I also like to hear how they balance their personal life (family, hobbies, homes, etc) with spending so much time out at sea.

I like to hear their history; how they got involved in the industry and their career path leading up to becoming Captain.

I also like to hear how they balance their personal life (family, hobbies, homes, etc) with spending so much time out at sea.

I enjoy those type of questions as well. I find that the fact sheet tells me all I need to know about how much fuel the ship can hold or how many eggs are cooked in a week. I always enjoy a story with unique perspectives from the staff.

One of the Scandinavian-origin captains (cannot remember his name) was asked whether he had ever left any passengers behind in port. His response was no, but there had been passengers who had chosen not to be on his ship when it sailed. I guess it's all about perspective (but he's right, I think).

At the same Q&A, he was asked by some joker in the back, "Boxers or briefs?" The hotel director had to translate for him, and he thought for a second and responded, "You've heard of going commando?" It got a big laugh.

Another Capt. Trim story... A lady asked him what precautions are taken to prevent passengers from accidentally falling overboard. He said "Madam, no on one ever accidentally falls overboard. You can't approach the rail and say oops I have slipped... They are either doing something that is not permitted or someone has helped them in the process of going overboard!" He moved on to another question from someone else.