Magic vs Freedom

Riley's Mom

We are thinking of booking the Freedom for our spring cruise.

In the past we have been on Magic many times and loved it.

Can anyone tell me the main differences between the 2 ships.

Other than the Magic is newer and larger. Lol

Also, how is the steakhouse on the Freedom?

We loved the Magic steakhouse.

Thank you,

I have not been on Freedom, but I have been on 2 of her sister ships, plus I have been on Magic & her 2 sister ships. And I have never done any steakhouse.

Freedom will have stadium style seating around the main pool area, with tiered levels, as opposed to Magic's big hole that's 2 decks deep. Most people prefer the stadium style. Freedom will have 3 pools instead of 2, plus Freedom will have 3 hot tubs near the main pool area as opposed to Magic's 0. Freedom's aft pool is supposed to be adults only.

Freedom only has 1 waterslide (saltwater) & no splash factory or dump bucket. Freedom doesn't have the ropes course. Freedom now has Playlist Productions shows that are very short & have no live music, while Magic still has the live showband & long shows. Freedom does not have the deck 5 lanai, so no lanai BBQ, nor an oceans plaza. Freedom doesn't have Magic's Cucina del Capitano, so no free lunch pasta bar or extra pay dinner. In that spot is fish n chips for lunch, and it is free. Freedom did add in Guys burgers & Blue Iguana cantina. The cantina includes the lunch burritos that you had on Magic plus breakfast burritos. With the burgers, they are a little bit better than Magic's, but it has much shorter hours. No late night Mexican buffet for the deck party on Freedom like you had on Magic, because of the Cantina. Only pizza, ice cream, & room service is available for food once the dinner buffet closes around 8:00-9:00. Freedom doesn't have cove balconies or the deluxe OV cabins with 1.5 bathrooms.

Edited by k2excursion

I've sailed on both ships and enjoyed the Magic more.

For me, the upper deck is nicer with the pool deck. Count me as a stadium seating detractor! The ropes course, the water areas, the serenity area, the extra food (Cucina is GREAT for lunch and good for dinner too), the spa cabins, the lanai brunch and lunch and live show band make a big difference for me. Your mileage may vary however - as ANY cruise is better than no cruise. You have to decide what amenities mean the most to you and then compare against dates, itineraries and any pricing differences you may uncover.

Good luck choosing - I'll be on the Magic again April 5!

Sail on the Magic for great entertainment which includes the live band, production shows and tons of trivia.

Sail on the Freedom for great food. There's no daily trivia so it can be disappointing if you love trivia.

They are both beautiful ships.

We are thinking of booking the Freedom for our spring cruise.

In the past we have been on Magic many times and loved it.

Can anyone tell me the main differences between the 2 ships.

Other than the Magic is newer and larger. Lol

Also' date=' how is the steakhouse on the Freedom?

We loved the Magic steakhouse.

Thank you,[/quote']

I haven't been on the Freedom (but I will in 9 days) and I have been on the Magic 3 times. I prefer the 2.0 upgrades which the Freedom has. If it was a choice between Magic and Freedom I would pick Freedom any day because of the upgrades.

We are sailing on April 4 on the Freedom, last 4 cruises were on the Magic.

We were really disappointed the last time on the Magic at the Red Frog Pub, the servers seemed to rarely come past the first few tables outside to take orders. We went inside more than they came to us to get drinks. Plus we have grown sooo tired of the musicians in the RFP. Does the acoustic performance need to be amplified so much? Yeah I realize there are others that enjoy it but it's time for a new ship for us. FREEDOM!!! :D

K2, how long are the shows on the Freedom? We like varied entertainment, but not 'microentertainment."

Freedom has the new Playlist Production shows, which are 30 minutes, so they have been cut in half. Half the number of on-stage performers, no props, & no live music. I think that they are trying to improve the quality of this style of show, and Freedom might have better Playlist shows than what I saw on Breeze, but I still don't like the style. Magic, for now, still has the "old" production shows, although their themes aren't as good as other ships' shows that I've seen. Their magic/illusion show is unique to that ship. Dream & Magic are the only ships to get one of these special higher-scale shows. Carnival abandoned this idea, starting with the Breeze, in order to dramatically cut entertainment costs. And this new concept has spread to most ships, including Freedom.

I did forget about the Cloud 9 Spa that Magic has but Freedom doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed conquest and Magic. Freedom is a sister ship to the conquest and we really liked the conquest better than the magic. On the Magic we really missed eating the fried oysters at lunch at Fish n Chips as the magic had an Italian pasta restaurant for lunch. We are looking forward to enjoying those oysters on the Freedom. I also love the glamorous beauty of the conquest class. I like the open feel of the main pool. The stadium seating feels open and is a plus in my humble opinion. I didn't enjoy the food in the bbq so I won't miss that but love the pub grub at the Red FrogPub so I am so glad it is on the Freedom. We tried the steakhouse for the first time on the Magic. Fabulous! I will only book shops with those from now on and this next trip, I will do chefs table. Had it booked last trip but the waters were so rough for 4 days I was sea sick or taking anti seasick meds and just not hungry.