Precruise Land Extension Excursions

3Kittens

I'm looking for information as to the procedure for excursions available when you take a pre cruise land portion.

Can I prebook before arrival at hotel? How do you know the particulars if a cruise line offers an excursion i.e: so times do not conflict if I book a private tour on same day.

Can excursions be sold out if we wait to book upon arrival?

On average how many excursions do they offer pre cruise?

Referring to Amawaterways in particular, but other lines must roughly follow suit in most areas?

Thanks for all ideas:)

I'm looking for information as to the procedure for excursions available when you take a pre cruise land portion.

Can I prebook before arrival at hotel? How do you know the particulars if a cruise line offers an excursion i.e: so times do not conflict if I book a private tour on same day.

Can excursions be sold out if we wait to book upon arrival?

On average how many excursions do they offer pre cruise?

Referring to Amawaterways in particular, but other lines must roughly follow suit in most areas?

Thanks for all ideas:)

I can only speak to my experience with Vantage, but you're probably right that most lines do the same things.

You should be able to book your extension excursions prior to leaving home.

BUT I would call AMA and confirm with them that your optional will not interfere with your private tour. Alternative would be to wait until you arrive in your excursion hotel and then book optional tour when you'll have a definite time frame available. I know they all recommend that you book ahead but in 6 cruises I have never once been told an excursion was fully booked. Only time I would be concerned was if a performance, like ballet in St. Petersburg, or something involving reserved seats were involved. Pre-cruise usually offers one or two excursions depending on where you're going and how long you'll be there. We did 6 day pre-tour to Prague and Bratislava and had one optional excursion in each city. The optional in Prague was to Kutna Hora and the Ossuary. It was half day and absolutely marvelous. In Bratislava it was to half-day to Red Stone Castle, which was also excellent.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We did Prague on our own pre cruise but stayed at the hotel that AMA used. My husband was able to book one of the excursions even though we were there on our own. We also booked the AMA transfer to Vilshofen. I can only assume that it is not difficult to book after arrival. The CD told us that if there wasn't a minimum number of guests signing up for an optional excursion, it would be cancelled.

Have decided to wait (with fingers crossed) until we arrive, then book. I have my list, ready, waiting in hand:)

Which might be a better approach. Each time we fly overseas, we react different. Gone at the days of being pumped for 48 solid hours, now we crash within 5 hours of arriving. Which royally goofs up a day in new wonderful countries.:rolleyes:

Have decided to wait (with fingers crossed) until we arrive, then book. I have my list, ready, waiting in hand:)

Which might be a better approach. Each time we fly overseas, we react different. Gone at the days of being pumped for 48 solid hours, now we crash within 5 hours of arriving. Which royally goofs up a day in new wonderful countries.:rolleyes:

One other idea since you have tours in mind, is to explore other options for those tours before you leave home should there be a conflict. Ama was using the Hilton Old Town last Nov and I found the Consierge to be very helpful and also a resource for tours. By the way, if that is where you are staying, it is a wonderful hotel. The staff was so accommodating, even going above and beyond.

Here's something I learned from my son that the military did on their flights into and out of Afghanistan: Take a regular dose of NYQUIL (or any other OTC night time cold medicine) either just after boarding or with dinner. It's loaded with antihistamine and enables you to sleep on the plane. Of course, you should check with your MD before doing this especially if you have high blood pressure, but he said it worked like a charm and he made three round trips!!

One other idea since you have tours in mind, is to explore other options for those tours before you leave home should there be a conflict. Ama was using the Hilton Old Town last Nov and I found the Consierge to be very helpful and also a resource for tours. By the way, if that is where you are staying, it is a wonderful hotel. The staff was so accommodating, even going above and beyond.

I second that. The hotel was very comfortable, the breakfast buffet was excellent and the consierge was helpful to us too. I agree with purduemom, you are more likely to have an optional tour cancelled due to lack of people signing up than to be excluded because there was no room. On every trip extension I've been on we've rarely gone over 30-40 people and that means if everyone has signed up, there's still room on the bus for 2 more!!Only thing I will sign up for ahead of time is something that I will shoot myself if I miss.....like seeing Swan Lake in St. Petersburg....and guess what? They were still selling tickets the day of the ballet!!

while you're in Prague and heading to the Old Town Square, check out what's happening at the Opera House just before the Powder Gate....you might get to see something special.

Interesting tip about the "Nyquil" - I have "cheated" at home on occasion with Nyquil if I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. My Dr. also said that "allergy" pills with antihistamine can work also.

Just remember, if you want to take your dose on the plane, it has to be in your "3-3-1" bag in your carryon if you plan to use the liquid form. I think Nyquil comes in tablet form also.

DW and I may try this tip on our upcoming flight from Dulles to Prague (thru CDG) in a couple of weeks.

Bruce

Interesting tip about the "Nyquil" ... Just remember, if you want to take your dose on the plane, it has to be in your "3-3-1" bag in your carryon if you plan to use the liquid form.

Actually, not true. See the TSA's website:

3-1-1 Liquids Rule

... Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula/food and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces, and they don’t have to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. TSA officers may need to open them for additional screening.

For more information, see: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-liquids-rule

Interesting tip about the "Nyquil" - I have "cheated" at home on occasion with Nyquil if I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. My Dr. also said that "allergy" pills with antihistamine can work also.

Just remember, if you want to take your dose on the plane, it has to be in your "3-3-1" bag in your carryon if you plan to use the liquid form. I think Nyquil comes in tablet form also.

DW and I may try this tip on our upcoming flight from Dulles to Prague (thru CDG) in a couple of weeks.

Bruce

Actually I only take the gel caps because the liquid tastes so vile and I usually just tear off 2 caps from the card and keep the rest in my checked luggage!! I never thought of the security issue although apparently it's not an issue any more.