Took the plunge!

njgrlloves2trvl

I've cruised four times before but this will be my first DC. I opted for a cruise because it's the only way I can deal with the Disney product. Weighing options Disney World vs Cruise; cruise wins! Looking at YouTube videos has me excited to experience their product. I'm booked on the Wonder next Feb for 5 nights on the western itinerary. There will be two adults and two children, just shy of 11 (2 weeks later) and 6. My confusion comes in regarding Animatoor's Palate. Reading blogs they say it shouldn't be missed and to switch nights if there is a conflict. Conflict with what? Can someone enlighten me as to the correct rotation? I'm assuming I'll find out in the cruise docs what our rotation will be closer to embarkation. Any other tips or suggestions are welcomed. Many thanks!

The only possible conflict is with adult only dining (Palo) if you choose to dine there.

My suggestion--on your first DCL cruise, enjoy the dining included with the cruise fare. Leave the adult only dining as something to add on a later cruise. Another point--the Wonder is the only ship with the original Animator's Palate show and no one knows how much longer it will be in the original configuration. If you don't see it now, it may not be available by the time you choose to cruise again.

If you do not do adult only dining, there will be no conflict anywhere. There is no "correct" rotation, particularly as there is no formal night on short cruises. Some people think it is a big deal to eat in the fanciest restaurant on formal night...makes no real difference. On each rotation, by the end of the cruise each family will have been scheduled for all of the same menus. Now, if you choose to not dine in the main dining room on a given night, that's your choice and will result in you missing a menu.

Edited by moki'smommy

Thanks! I was planning on trying Palo based on reviews and because we have OBC to use but we could skip it. When you say the Wonder has the oldest Animator's Palate show is that a nice way of saying it's not that great or should we consider ourselves fortunate to be able to experience it before it's gone? :D

Edited by njgrlloves2trvl

Thanks! I was planning on trying Palo based on reviews and because we have OBC to use but we could skip it. When you say the Wonder has the oldest Animator's Palate show is that a nice way of saying it's not that great or should we consider ourselves fortunate to be able to experience it before it's gone? :D

No, I'm saying that you should see it before it is gone forever. Once they do the remodel of the dining room (like they did on the Magic), they can't do the original show any more. OK, no one knows when/if the Wonder remodel will be, but the original show is worth seeing.

Can someone enlighten me as to the correct rotation? I'm assuming I'll find out in the cruise docs what our rotation will be closer to embarkation. Any other tips or suggestions are welcomed. Many thanks!

By the way, you won't find out your dining rotation until boarding day. It will be written on your room key / charge card issued at check-in on the pier. Normally that information will also be provided (as a duplicate) on a slip of paper in your cabin. Both copies of this information will also have your table number, which will be the same in each dining room, but as previously mentioned, the table won't be in the exact same spot in each room.

On a 5 night cruise, you should be assigned to two of the dining rooms for 2 nights each, and the third room for one night. On 3 nights, each dining room will have a different menu (this is scheduled so each person will have each of those menus once). On two nights all 3 rooms have the same menu.

Your first sea day may feature a dressy-optional night, but it won't be a full-fledged formal night. Another night may be pirate themed or "Frozen" themed.

When you first board, if your children are especially interested in meeting "the characters" you might want to go to Guest Services on deck 3 (port side) and ask if there are any ticketed character meetings. I haven't tried this, but I hear there are some that are no extra charge (just limited in number of tickets) and others that cost extra. The tickets are most likely for Anna and Elsa (free) or for the Princess themed tea (extra charge). Also at this time and location you can sign up for adult activities like alcohol tastings.

Many of the game show type events can be fun, especially if you like the fact they are themed to Disney entertainment. The only ones I remember being adults only (and not family friendly) were the marriage game and one "quest" or scavenger hunt type activity, but those were late (say 10pm+) and in the adult district called Route 66 (deck 3 forward).

If you want some quiet, less Disney-themed time together, there are board games available for family fun in the Promenade Lounge and in Diversions. (NOTE: Diversions is open to all guests during the day, but switches to adult only around dinner time. In the past, there have also been snack foods here in a buffet for between meal cravings.)

Disney Cruise Line has an app for iPhones and Andriod phones/tables that you can download in advance then use (for free) on the ship. It should provide you with a schedule of events during your trip and possibly also sample restaurant menus. (When I was on board a year ago, only the schedule had been rolled out, but not the menus, but perhaps they have been added).

THe above info is good, but not quite up to date.

The DCL Navigator app is free on the ship--you do not need to purchase a wifi package to use it. It contains the menus for that day, activities, etc. It does have more info than the written navigator, but is not totally easy to use.

Frozen tickets are complimentary, and on our Magic cruise there were enough for each cabin to get one. The advantage to getting them early is that you had a choice of date/time. I have read that on the bigger ships, they are limited in supply due to length of cruise and number of cabins. Princess meet and greet tickets are complimentary. Princess Royal Tea tickets are VERY expensive.

PLEASE check the Welcome Aboard Navigator that you will get in the terminal--it will list the location for ticket distribution. In the past 6 months locations have included Guest Services, Port Adventures, and Studio Sea.

Diversions and all other night clubs in the Route 66 area are family areas during the day but become "adult only" at 9pm. Snacks are served there about 5 pm (check your Navigator for exact scheduled time and realize that they may come out a little late), and recently they have been serving snacks in the Promenade Lounge as well. Snacks are also available all day in the Cove Cafe (adult only), the various pool deck food outlets, and room service.