Jewel Baltic Cruise re treadmills, etc.

swmrgrl

I was on the Baltic cruise and can sympathize with the complaints coming from the cabins below the gym. I personally like to do my workouts first thing in the morning and those of us who regularily work out do not stop when we go go on vacation. Some people are very heavy runners/walkers so the machines would be thumping quite a bit more. I also noticed a number of people who dropped the free weights or let the other machines clunk down. I can only iagine how irritating this would be to passengers below. I also think a number of people take the opportunity to work out on a cruise because they have nothing else to do as I noticed incorrect use of equipment.

I heard that NCL was looking into putting special rubber mats under the equipment to help eliminate the noise.

The treadmill and eliptical machine upstairs in the Courtyard Villas do not impact anyone as they are not above cabins.

I was in one of the Garden Villas and we got the sounds of Cagneys kitchen under the master bedroom and bathroom. Think of clanking pots, general cleanup, the running of dishwashers, etc. until the wee hours of the morning. This was reported several times and the noise level was reduced to a degree, but this is something NCL will need to work on as well. During the day it was ok, but not at night when you want to sleep.

Over all we had a wonderful cruise and have booked another for next year on the Jewel with back to back cruises.

Welcome back swmrgrl: I have enjoyed reading your postings while onboard the Jewel. My DH and I were on the Med. cruise on the Jewel just before you. We wanted to book a Garden Villa room but we booked to late to get one. I do have an A3 Villa room book for the Nov. 13 West. Caribbean sailing on the Jewel. I am taking my sister on her first cruise. I have some questions:

(1) What is the Concierge lounge? Can you get drinks and sodas at no charge? Is it just another bar where you can order a drink like other parts of the ship? Does Ruth have her office up there?

(2) Were you in the Garden Villa or one of the other A3 or A4 rooms?

(3) Was the pool warm?

(4) Was there any free weight equipment in the villa gym?

(5) Was there enough elevator access to that floor, or was that a problem?

If you are like I was, you are going through the end of cruise melaise, jet lag from a 7 hour time change, and for me I was still rocking with the ship for nearly a week. Look forward to your answers when you can.

Glad to hear you have a great cruise.

Marilyn

I've only been home for about 2 hours after leaving London this afternoon. In answer to your questions:

We were in a Garden Villa.

All the pools were warm.

There are no free weights in the Courtyard Fitness area, only one treadmill and an eliptical trainer. Nice perk of a flat screen tv mounted on the wall.

To gain access to deck 14, your card must be coded to get onto the floor.

The Concierge Lounge wasn't really active. It had a large screen tv, coffee, soft drinks, asst sandwiches, cookies, nuts, and gummy bears at various times of the day. There was always some type of treat in there,

Several tables had game boards imprinted onto them and there was a cupboard that contained games to play.

Ruth spent time up in the Lounge during the day for passengers to see her, however she maintained an office elsewhere where her assistant took many calls. Since she is in such demand by the various villas, owner's suites, mini suites, etc. the location of the lounge would be better suited on a floor where all could access her. The Cocierge Lounge was for the GV and Courtyard villas.

Coffee, tea, soft drinks, juice, was available at no charge in the lounge and in the courtyard area.

There are 4 elevators that go up to the 14th floor. Your cabin card is coded to get to that floor. If you are in a courtyard villa, you must use your room key to access another door to get into the hallway. The GV room key also gains you entry into this area so you can access the courtyard pool, jaccuzi, fitness, etc.

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Swmgrl: Thanks for the information on the Courtyard villas and the lounge. I am getting excited. I have always bought the soda card or brought on my own. Nice to know it is available. What are the hours open for the concierge lounge?

Was the pool area crowded? Could you get a deck chair at about any time of day?

Great that you liked the Jewel so much you book another and a back to back at that.

Marilyn

There was space and chairs all the time. The temperature was cooler on the Baltic cruise and there were few children and teens. Many, many seniors or older coupkes. Average age was at least 60+. On cruises to warmer climates you will find more people in the pool. A great feature was the waterslide which was very popular with kids.

There is a steamroom in the fitness area. There is a separate area for females and males. The rooms have a steam room, a shower area, and a toilet. The treadmill and eliptical machine are between the rooms. These are not very private areas...only the bathroom which has a door.

It's not a big deal if you bring a guest up to the courtyard.

• 1 month later...
I was on the Baltic cruise and can sympathize with the complaints coming from the cabins below the gym. I personally like to do my workouts first thing in the morning and those of us who regularily work out do not stop when we go go on vacation. Some people are very heavy runners/walkers so the machines would be thumping quite a bit more. I also noticed a number of people who dropped the free weights or let the other machines clunk down. I can only iagine how irritating this would be to passengers below. I also think a number of people take the opportunity to work out on a cruise because they have nothing else to do as I noticed incorrect use of equipment.

I heard that NCL was looking into putting special rubber mats under the equipment to help eliminate the noise.

The treadmill and eliptical machine upstairs in the Courtyard Villas do not impact anyone as they are not above cabins.

I was in one of the Garden Villas and we got the sounds of Cagneys kitchen under the master bedroom and bathroom. Think of clanking pots, general cleanup, the running of dishwashers, etc. until the wee hours of the morning. This was reported several times and the noise level was reduced to a degree, but this is something NCL will need to work on as well. During the day it was ok, but not at night when you want to sleep.

Over all we had a wonderful cruise and have booked another for next year on the Jewel with back to back cruises.

Swmrgrl, we missed you at the CC meeting on the Baltics cruise. Todd mentioned you were gracious enough to give a tour of your AA suite. Unfortunately (fortunately), Mirsaad was able to get us a table at Le Bistro, despite it being fully booked, and we couldn't stick around.

It sounds as though you may be on the Sep 3rd Barcelona to Istanbul in 2006? If so, I've just started a roll-call, and hopefully will get a chance to meet you this time!

Cheers,

Stephen & Daniel

Archived