Wine Package Question

CALYMO

I was just wondering if there was any benefit to ordering the wine packages offered before getting on the ship.

Someone I was talking with thought there was a 20% discount if you bought the package ahead of time, but I cant seem to find anywhere that validates that.

Thanks for any help :)

I believe I have read that it may be a little cheaper to buy things like that after you have sailed because of the taxes. Once you are in international waters, then local taxes no longer apply.

Can anyone take a stab at the price of a bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay on board the Disney Dream? Paid $34 two years ago on Princess. Thanks!

It is listed at $8 per glass. Sorry, I can't find the "per bottle" price. It is part of the "classic" wine package which is $84 for 3 bottles chosen from the "classic" list. It is easy to find the price list for the packages for whatever length of cruise.

Google to the rescue--$38 per bottle out of a package plan. Remember to add the 15% auto gratuity to any bar item. Of course, you can bring your own. I saw it on line for $19.99 from a wine shipper.

Edited by moki'smommy

When you purchase the wine package, sometimes they charge you the gratuities then, sometimes they don't. If they do, you still have to sign off for each bottle and when I was on the Fantasy, the server tried to put in gratuity again on my zero receipt (what you get when you have ordered the package to sign off on the bottle). I don't think he was too happy when I told him I had already paid for the gratuity and did not think him bringing me a bottle of wine was reason enough to pay additional amounts. Before I get hammered for this, we tipped him well at the end, just was miffed by the attempt at the "double" gratuity.

When you purchase the wine package, sometimes they charge you the gratuities then, sometimes they don't. If they do, you still have to sign off for each bottle and when I was on the Fantasy, the server tried to put in gratuity again on my zero receipt (what you get when you have ordered the package to sign off on the bottle). I don't think he was too happy when I told him I had already paid for the gratuity and did not think him bringing me a bottle of wine was reason enough to pay additional amounts. Before I get hammered for this, we tipped him well at the end, just was miffed by the attempt at the "double" gratuity.

No flames at all. What was happening (my guess) is that the auto-gratuity appears on the receipt where you purchased the wine package. The auto gratuity appears on the receipt of ALL bar items along with a line for "additional gratuity." The auto-gratuity is pooled and divided among all the people categorized as bar workers. Anything added on the "additional gratuity line goes directly to the person who serves you (and his/her name will appear on the receipt).

MANY people don't realize that they have already paid a 15% gratuity on any bar item. This includes specialty coffees, smoothies, etc. They see the additional gratuity line and write in something, often in the 15-20% range.

What I do (again, I'll wear my flame proof suit)...if I go to a bar and request something, the auto-gratuity has it covered for me. If someone goes out of his way to take an order and bring me something, I add something to the "additional" line....but it is no where near 15% additional! And I don't buy anything from the guys who roam around the adult pool carrying drinks that are melted before you buy them. Sorry, I like mine fresh.

No flames at all. What was happening (my guess) is that the auto-gratuity appears on the receipt where you purchased the wine package. The auto gratuity appears on the receipt of ALL bar items along with a line for "additional gratuity." The auto-gratuity is pooled and divided among all the people categorized as bar workers. Anything added on the "additional gratuity line goes directly to the person who serves you (and his/her name will appear on the receipt).

MANY people don't realize that they have already paid a 15% gratuity on any bar item. This includes specialty coffees' date=' smoothies, etc. They see the additional gratuity line and write in something, often in the 15-20% range.

What I do (again, I'll wear my flame proof suit)...if I go to a bar and request something, the auto-gratuity has it covered for me. If someone goes out of his way to take an order and bring me something, I add something to the "additional" line....but it is no where near 15% additional! And I don't buy anything from the guys who roam around the adult pool carrying drinks that are melted before you buy them. Sorry, I like mine fresh.[/quote']

Thank you! Me too! I actually think the automatic 15% gratuity hurts my bartenders, as I would probably tip 20% on the tab, but since they are auto adding it for me, unless the service is out of the park special, I leave it alone. I guess too many people were not tipping? I too, do not order those drinks, as I find them not as well made and also too sweet!

Thank you! Me too! I actually think the automatic 15% gratuity hurts my bartenders, as I would probably tip 20% on the tab, but since they are auto adding it for me, unless the service is out of the park special, I leave it alone. I guess too many people were not tipping? I too, do not order those drinks, as I find them not as well made and also too sweet!

The auto gratuity has been there are far back as I can remember...which is long ago. I can't say if it was on bar items on day 1, but it has been for a long time. I doubt that it relates to people not tipping. Possibly more to the concept that people don't realize it is there an add another tip on top of it. They add it to items like the light up glass toppers, souvenier glasses, etc. that are sometimes sold--anything that they consider a bar item.