Dream Cruise decision...Cove or Ocean View

momof4girls

I have since changed my mind from going on the Freedom to going on the Dream. A little more research led me to believe that my girls would enjoy the Dream more.

So, I have it down to two different cruises...

Dream Cruise #1 = Cove Balcony to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel

Dream Cruise #2 = Ocean View to Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel

Cruise #2 costs a little more than cruise #1. However, is that the better cruise between the two? We are looking at just beach days at each of the ports (staying on the ship in Belize if we go that way).

We went on the Magic in 2013 and hit the same ports as cruise #2, and the beach at Grand Caymen was awesome. We are land-locked here in MO, but we are from WA state so being on the beach is our favorite thing to do in the ports.

I have since changed my mind from going on the Freedom to going on the Dream. A little more research led me to believe that my girls would enjoy the Dream more.

So, I have it down to two different cruises...

Dream Cruise #1 = Cove Balcony to Belize, Roatan, and Cozumel

Dream Cruise #2 = Ocean View to Jamaica, Grand Caymen, and Cozumel

Cruise #2 costs a little more than cruise #1. However, is that the better cruise between the two? We are looking at just beach days at each of the ports (staying on the ship in Belize if we go that way).

We went on the Magic in 2013 and hit the same ports as cruise #2, and the beach at Grand Caymen was awesome. We are land-locked here in MO, but we are from WA state so being on the beach is our favorite thing to do in the ports.

I answered on your other thread also. Cruise 2 for me. Since you have kids the Deluxe Ocean View is really nice since there are 2 bathrooms and one has a bathtub. The room is also a little larger. The Cove Balcony is really nice as well but I don't like the itinerary since it has Belize.

I've been on both itinerary's and I would prefer cruise #1. I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, but I really enjoyed Roatan a lot. And if you have children, the port has a free secured beach within walking distance of where the ship ports. Overall, I just enjoyed Belize and Roatan better than Jamaica and Grand Cayman. For full disclosure, we did not go to a beach either trip when we were in Belize (we did the cave tubing/zip lining and the second trip we snorkeled).

I can understand the appeal of having extra bathroom space, but I would never pick extra bathroom space over being able to step outside and watch as the ship comes in to port from the privacy of a balcony. I haven't done a cove balcony yet, but I hear that the views are exceptional being that close to the water.

Based on the above, I would chose cruise #1. However, I really don't think you can go wrong. We were on the Dream for the first time last year and we really loved it! We're cruising again in May. Good luck making a decision!

We had a cove balcony on our last Magic cruise. It is a unique experience. You have more leg room and space on the balcony to move the chairs and table around. It's very private--not like a regular balcony where you see your neighbors' reflection in the glass. The way the cove is carved out of the hull, you have a small shelf just under the railing where you can put things, like your wine glass. You are under the lifeboats, so there is some shade. You are closer to the water but you do not feel the ship rocking like you would in a higher balcony cabin. If you are docked your side of the ship, you get to see everything that happens on the dock. Inside the cabin was very quiet and peaceful, tho--no noise issues. Would recommend a cove balcony anytime.

Does Jamaica have a nice, safe beach that is good for a family with younger kids?

I watched numerous youtube videos with Cove balconies. My only concern is that I will miss being able to look up/out at the sky. I can do that in an Ocean View room.

Edited by momof4girls

Does Jamaica have a nice, safe beach that is good for a family with younger kids?

I watched numerous youtube videos with Cove balconies. My only concern is that I will miss being able to look up/out at the sky. I can do that in an Ocean View room.

In Jamaica, you can go to Doctors Cave Beach. It's not too far away. You can get the all-day pass for the bus that makes certain stops. Don't get off at their shopping stops. Just get off at the beach. They are not pushy at that beach. Don't let your kids wander off without you, or they might get offered a particular drug that is common there.

With cove balconies, you can still see the sky. The lifeboats are not that intrusive. You just don't get as much sun as higher balconies when the sun is at a particular angle, at which point the UV rays are quite weak anyway, so it really doesn't matter. I guess if you prefer to lean back & look more upward rather than outward, the lifeboats would obstruct your sky view. But looking outward, you won't even notice the lifeboats.

Can't look up too high, you'll see the ceiling:D

I also recommend Doctors Cave Beach. You can take a taxi there for $5 per person. You have to buy chairs, umbrella etc... Again, the Cove Balcony is great but with kids I would go with the Deluxe Ocean View. The extra bathroom and space is worth it.