ATD Freedom

eeudj

am I misunderstanding.. or is there a cost for this? I do recall that the carnival rep who assisted with booking said we would qualify if we paid all our on board gratitude up front?

No extra cost and no requirement to prepay gratuities to do ATD.

there is no extra cost to anytime dining. As long as it is still available, it is an option, but you do have to book it. I love it, love the flexibility, and both times I tried it, loved it. no complaints.

there is no extra cost to anytime dining. As long as it is still available, it is an option, but you do have to book it. I love it, love the flexibility, and both times I tried it, loved it. no complaints.

We have done it since it became available and love it. You are on your own schedule as to when you want to eat. If you like your wait staff you can request their section every night when you show up.

am I misunderstanding.. or is there a cost for this? I do recall that the carnival rep who assisted with booking said we would qualify if we paid all our on board gratitude up front?

I believe that prepay gratitude is a RCCL thing.

Soon after Carnival introduced ATD, we had our first ever ATD on Freedom. It was very bad. We waited about an hour in 1st formal night, and more than 30 minutes in the 2nd. Some people in the line claimed it was their 1st and last Carnival cruise. And some others were defending Carnival. :p

I guess Carnival learned its lesson and we learned our lesson too (do not show up at peak time especially in formal nights). We had many Carnival cruises after that and we did not experience any problem.

Edited by guxu

We did your ATD on the Glory (sister ship) and we felt totally comfortable with it. I enjoyed being able to eat when we wanted to eat. That said, 4 of the 5 nights we ate in the MDR, there was a wait for a table, including both formal nights. The waits were between 20 minutes and 45 minutes. Once, we somehow missed our pager going off and we were late. The wait doesn't bother me at all, so if you're someone who doesn't like to wait, I wouldn't suggest ATD. But we had the Cheer's package so we just sat out in the atrium bar and had a drink before dinner, no big deal.

We tried Your Time Dining for the first time on our last Freedom cruise and for us, we didn't like it. I think there was only one night where we didn't have to wait for a table (the first night, I believe) and every other time there was a wait. We even tried to get there right when it opened up one night and the line was snaked into the main theater! Not sure if this happens on all ships or if we just happened to go at peak times, but we didn't like it.

Other things we didn't like was that we weren't able to get to know our waiters. Also, not sure if this is unique to YTD, but we almost always got seated in a really dark section. I really don't like eating in the dark! And if you get a table for two, it is extremely close to the other tables for two. That being said, we did chat with a nice couple that we got seated next to twice.

We have decided that YTD isn't for us because of the waiting, not being able to be familiar with our waiters and getting seated in dark sections. We also found ourselves pretty much going around 6 p.m. every night except for the first night anyway, so the flexibility in timing wasn't a benefit for us.

We had YTD on the FREEDOM just this past May. For us, it worked out great. We arrived at the dining room every night at about 6pm, asked for a table for four in the open center section, and were always seated right away (one time I think we waited about three minutes). In fact, we asked for the same waitress (IS) and it was never a problem.

The key is to avoid peak times (7-730ish).

Lovestocruise and I were on the same cruise. While I agree with her that there were some very dark sections of that MDR and yes a few nights there were long lines, I will continue to book YTD, ATD or MTD (what ever you call it). It is a personal preference.

Loves said they usually go to diner about 6 every night anyway. I can see where having an assigned time and table would be a benefit for she and hubby.

On the other hand, my DH and I eat anywhere from 6-9 depending upon what we did that day. Once we find a wait staff we like we just ask for them each night. I guess we are used to waiting to be seated, it seems to be the norm here in Houston.

5 cruises all with YTD and groups ranging from 2-10 people. Only had to wait a couple of times, and never for long.

We prefer the flexibility as our schedule will vary from day to day as well. Our last cruise we did experience very long dinners, but other tables around us seemed to be moving much quicker.. so my guess is it was our waiter.

I am curious to see how it is going to be on the Sunshine this time around. First time on her and I understand that you have to go to a station on another floor to get your pager and then you will get to be seated. So I am preparing for a wait this time and will hope for the best.