Riviera Travel v's Emerald Waterways

macren

We are looking to do a Rhine river cruise next year and the 2afore mentioned both come up to my liking they appear very similar in price ,ships ect but can't decide which one ,has any one been on them or know anything about them help would be much appreciated thanks.

Have you had a look at the reviews by past cruisers? Here are the ones for the Emerald Sky which sails the Rhine:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=747

This is what cruisecritic says about Riviera Travel:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=192

I have seen their ships live cruising on the Rhine, look really good from the outside. I like their itineraries, too.

As regards Emerald: it is a new company dedicated to river cruising and from their itinerary on the Rhine (8 days) I would say they have made a great effort to offer something not all companies have to distinguish them a little from the others. A join-the-locals-excursion is always a nice touch, I find theirs in the Black Forest very appealing.

The companies itineraries differ in parts quite a bit, perhaps the details will help you decide. And of course, as Riviera Travel is UK-based and Emerald is not expect a different mix of people on board.

When you go to the button search this forum and type in Emerald or Riviera you get to see the threads that are about either company or where the company has been mentioned in a thread. Highly recommended as it gives recent posts you might otherwise overlook when scrolling.

notamermaid

I think September is a nice month to go in, although for autumn colours October is better. Expect September to be pleasant -cool or warm, but not hot - as regards the weather conditions. Probably warmer than Manchester and certainly less rain! I have been near Stockport a few times and therefore can judge the differences to my country :D

I have seen that the tours on the Jane Austen on the Rhine start in Cologne. It seems that you can book the Eurostar train connection from London St. Pancras or fly in from several airports including Manchester. That sounds like a good itinerary, from Cologne to Basel.

A few people have commented here on CC about the Rhine being less interesting and more industrial North of Cologne. So going straight to Cologne is certainly an idea to consider.

I personally would take the train option, Peak district train and Eurostar then First Class Thalys to Cologne if I had lots of money to spare!

Enjoy planning.

notamermaid

I need to add that I have only just found out that the Jane Austen was christened in January of this year. I was under the assumption that she was as old - or as young - as her sister ship the Lord Byron. It seems the first sailing will be on 29 April. So there are no reviews yet.

http://www.scylla.ch/en/news/ms-jane-austen-christening-newest-scylla-ship-hardinxveld-nl

notamermaid

Spring in the Rhine valley, lots of sunshine and the first butterflies!

Not much to offer in the way of advice, other than the Jane Austen looks like its a nice ship. We had other criteria that Riviera doesn't meet and therefore opted for Emerald Waterways. In particular, we wanted the option of properly closing off the bedroom from the living room in their Owner's suites, as my DH likes to read late into the night and I like a good nights sleep. Plus, we wanted to see Amsterdam so we wanted our itinerary to include that!

I'm glad to hear that we can look forward to good weather - not too hot, not too cold - as we're sailing in September 2016!