Gluten Free diet?

13cheermom

Does anyone know if you have special requirements such as a GF diet, that in order for them to attend to those needs would you need to be in a set time dining? Right now have ATD and would prefer not to change, however daughter has these issues now and not sure how to proceed. I know I can email their special needs department, but would prefer to have first-hand experience from past cruisers if possible. Thanks in advance for any help or insight!:)

Do a search for Gluten Free or Celiac. Lots of threads. From what I've read and heard Carnival does a good job. Sat with one Gal who has sailed Carnival a very long time being GF. She had nothing but praise.

DD is allergic to nuts and we cruise ATD with almost no problems. The few problems we've had have have been service related--she's gotten her food much quicker than the rest of us.

Either the waiter or hostess will bring the next day's menus. Order then. Can't decide between two dishes? Order them both.

At embarkation we see the hostess when the MDR is open around 1 and preorder her dinner then.

Buffet and lido can be a minefield. Speak with the Head Lido Chef (not the line cooks) or the hostess, if available.

Which ship? Be very careful of the Mongolian Wok. The pans are only swished between uses, the lids never.

Edited by SadieN

I have celiac and have sailed with Carnival. They are GREAT in the MDR but the buffet is difficult.

I was told that I didn't need to email special needs for my last cruise, but for my upcoming cruise, my PVP made a note of it in my paperwork. I'm not sure it makes a difference.

You will have limited choices the first night in the MDR. While eating, they will bring you the next night's menu and you will preorder. Most items were available gluten-free by preordering. Even the chocolate melting cake is available gluten-free and it was awesome!

The buffet, however, was a major problem! I not recommend talking to any Carnival employee, other than the head Lido chef. I received bad information my first time through the the buffet for lunch on embarkation day from the hostess. Unfortunately, the Lido employees are not well-trained about gluten and do not like to say (or are not allowed to say), "I don't know."

After I went to Guest Services about the buffet situation, they arranged for me to meet with the head Lido chef who gave me his phone number and told me to call him every time I was in there and he would come take care of me. This was not a good solution for me because we usually only eat in the buffet when in a hurry and I'm an introvert and didn't want to bother him. He did, however, want to make it right and meet my needs.

For my upcoming cruise, I plan to meet with the Lido chef the first day and rather than ask about "gluten-free" foods, I'm going to ask about ingredients. I suspect they cannot really claim that anything on the buffet is purely gluten-free because of the risk of cross-contamination. I plan on taking a risk this time if the food has no gluten ingredients and is not next to something obviously glutinous since I'm not super-sensitive. I'm especially going to scope out the salad bar. I got totally overwhelmed by the loud, crowded buffet area last time and didn't handle the situation well.

I also travel with a supply of easy gluten-free food and snacks so I will always have something to eat when I'm hungry, especially in ports. I bring gluten-free beef jerky, potato chips, nuts, Kind bars, candy, boxed picnic meals, pouches of tuna, GF crackers, etc.

Oh, and the ice cream is gluten-free!

I would be happy to answer any specific questions.

PS: We had YTD.

Edited by Confuzzled
Answer OP question.

Thanks for the above , I actually looked through about 4 months back for more recent information. However I didn't see any information about a specific dining room being the one to cater to special dietary needs. With ATD you never know for sure what time you will be going or if at all. I'm assuming they prepare the meal once you arrive at your table? Also incase we decide to not go to the dining room one night, don't want to inconvenience them. Usually my daughter is pretty good about figuring things out but she hasn't cruised since this change in her life. The last time she cruised was in 2009 and so just trying to figure out the best way to plan ahead. I did read that they have GF breads at the deli, and maybe GF at the Pizzeria, did anyone find this to be true? We will be on the Glory in June so just trying to figure some things out. Thanks again for all the information!

I was not in set time dining and it was no problem. I think the chef does the advance preparation before arrival and just finishes it when you get there. My husband and I always got our food at the same time. It's the same for all dining rooms I think.

I was not told about bread in the deli, but I didn't ask. Another guest I talked to, who happened to be a baker, said he had seen gluten-free bread on one of the breakfast buffets.

I don't know about the Glory, but our PVP told us the Liberty has gluten-free pizza and I've read that Guy's has gluten-free buns, but I haven't verified that.