Alaska...Aft Facing Cabin...Pros and Cons...

Debz62

I also picked an aft verandah for our Alaska cruise this May. Want to see both sides while stay away from the side wins as it could still be pretty cold in May.

BTW I saw comments about vibrations in those spots when the ship is traveling at full speed. Is that normal for Alaska cruises to travel at 20+ nods?

We are aft-cabin people. We took a Yukon CruiseTour via Skagway and decided to try an aft ocean view on the Volendam since there were no aft verandas available. There was a public balcony right by our cabin that we could use. Not as good as having your own balcony but almost. IMO better than a side balcony.

I also picked an aft verandah for our Alaska cruise this May. Want to see both sides while stay away from the side wins as it could still be pretty cold in May.

BTW I saw comments about vibrations in those spots when the ship is traveling at full speed. Is that normal for Alaska cruises to travel at 20+ nods?

The fastest speed I noted on our Holland America Line TV was 18 knots. I think the ships are capable of a lot more but go slower to save fuel.

The fastest speed I noted on our Holland America Line TV was 18 knots. I think the ships are capable of a lot more but go slower to save fuel.

Thx cruise news! That sounds to be a more enjoyable speed.

We sailed in an aft cabin last year and booked one this year too - I wouldn't sail Alaska any other way. One funny thing that happened was on the second day - it was evening and suddenly the ship shuddered and we heard a loud rumbling/screeching noise. My friend and I thought we had hit something! We called the front desk to find out what had happened, and the lady didn't have any idea what we were talking about. WHAT??? Did nobody else hear/feel this???

Well, this happened a few more times throughout the cruise, and each time we happened to be out on the balcony....and there were whales! We finally figured out (and confirmed with crew members later) that when whales are sighted ahead, the ship slows down significantly, which causes the rumbling/shuddering/screeching.

So if you hear/feel this, don't panic - run out to the balcony and look for whales! :)

I strongly recommend an aft facing cabin for Alaska. We have had one on our last 2 Alaska cruises and booked one for Alaska next year as soon as we were able to book. It is difficult to have any other type of balcony for Alaska once you have experienced the aft.

Diane

I strongly recommend an aft facing cabin for Alaska. We have had one on our last 2 Alaska cruises and booked one for Alaska next year as soon as we were able to book. It is difficult to have any other type of balcony for Alaska once you have experienced the aft.

Diane

Couldn't wait!

How about glacier bay? How's the view from the aft?

We sailed in an aft cabin last year and booked one this year too - I wouldn't sail Alaska any other way. One funny thing that happened was on the second day - it was evening and suddenly the ship shuddered and we heard a loud rumbling/screeching noise. My friend and I thought we had hit something! We called the front desk to find out what had happened, and the lady didn't have any idea what we were talking about. WHAT??? Did nobody else hear/feel this???

Well, this happened a few more times throughout the cruise, and each time we happened to be out on the balcony....and there were whales! We finally figured out (and confirmed with crew members later) that when whales are sighted ahead, the ship slows down significantly, which causes the rumbling/shuddering/screeching.

So if you hear/feel this, don't panic - run out to the balcony and look for whales! :)

Great information to have. I will certainly pay attention!