London to NZ and Aussie on Astor

Interestingly I was just looking at the itinerary this week. That one or the return trip 16 March Perth to UK via Africa (except its shorter too - only 38 instead of 53 nights).

Maybe I will hold off and see what you have to say about the ship etc afterwards. I know a few people who have done little 7 days ones on the Astor but none who have done the bigger trips.

• 3 months later...
Astor ,departing London Oct 17th . Anyone else onboard apart from us ?

Have just read your post, been looking for other travellers on the Astor for the South bound trip in Oct.

Have you any info on what excursions are on offer?

Have just read your post, been looking for other travellers on the Astor for the South bound trip in Oct.

Yes, they have now posted them on the CMV cruise site :)

We have started to look at the ship excursions for Astor and will also look at ToursByLocals ( we used them in Mexico ) and found them excellent) as did others we booked with off the ship in Feb.

Any thoughts or idea,s re shore trips ?

The excursions put on by the ship seam very reasonable. A 7 hour trip in the Caribbean for $130 I thought was ok.

Tell me more about toursbylocals, are they reasonable??

Barry

Hi Barry,

ToursByLocals.com . They operate around the world and is based out of Canada. The clue is in their name. They are local people where ever they operate. Small group tours with a promise to get you back on time to the ship.

We got onto them through the roll call for our Grand Princess trip. A fellow passenger had used them around the world off different cruise ships and has always found them great.He organized a group through the roll call members. The one we did was operated by a local Mexican with his own 12 seater van. Great guy and guide( would not take more than 7 passengers for more comfort.)

Cost was less than half of the ships tours and this guy took us places only locals knew of as well as buying us food and drinks ! Others on our tour said they too had used Tours by locals around the world and could not fault them.

If we find a good tour in any of the ports of call by them we would consider them again for sure. Have a look around their web site and see what you think.

I just noticed you have been on Astor for a short cruise before, what can you give us a heads-up on about her ?

Edited by nztraveller

Yes we have been on the Astor Perth Bali return.

We booked as a last minute trip(we booked and payed 2 days before departure). The cabin we had was an inside cabin. We were not happy with the bedding arrangements, one single bed with a couch that dropped down for the other bed(not very comfortable). This trip we have booked a cabin with a double bed. Other than the cabin it was a good ship to be on. A very friendly ship.The ship is quite small, but we like the smaller ships. The amenity's are adequate, but not flashy. If you have never been on a small ship it will be a different experience.

If we didn't like the ship we would not be going on this cruise.

Yes we might be interested in doing a private tour.

Yes we have been on the Astor Perth Bali return.

We booked as a last minute trip(we booked and payed 2 days before departure). The cabin we had was an inside cabin. We were not happy with the bedding arrangements, one single bed with a couch that dropped down for the other bed(not very comfortable). This trip we have booked a cabin with a double bed. Other than the cabin it was a good ship to be on. A very friendly ship.The ship is quite small, but we like the smaller ships. The amenity's are adequate, but not flashy. If you have never been on a small ship it will be a different experience.

If we didn't like the ship we would not be going on this cruise.

Yes we might be interested in doing a private tour.

Thanks for the info on Astor. How did you find laundry and drinks costs ?

We have now pre-booked the ships tours (2) .....

Bridgetown =Cat cruise and turtle encounter

Acapulco = Baby turtle release

We will look at independent touring at other ports , maybe with Toursbylocals or something "on the day" at the ports.

Americans we have cruised with put us off independent touring in Acapulco due how dangerous it has become in recent times, so opted to stick with a ships tour there. Very few cruise ships call there these days because of this.We were on the Star Princess and she did not call there either in Feb.

Any thought,s on the other ports of call that you may have been to before ?

As we were only on the Astor for a 14 days we did our own laundry in the cabin. There is an ironing room on the ship, but no washing facilities.

From memory the drink pricing was better than other ships we have been on. After saying that we intend to get the drink package. On their website they quote AU29.00 per person per day. It has to be purchased within 24hours of boarding and cannot be pre purchased.

As far as unsafe ports go our worst was Senegal very different!!

Still looking at tour's, we might leave them until on the ship.

What are your plans for the UK,staying long.

Barry and Wendy

As we were only on the Astor for a 14 days we did our own laundry in the cabin. There is an ironing room on the ship, but no washing facilities.

From memory the drink pricing was better than other ships we have been on. After saying that we intend to get the drink package. On their website they quote AU29.00 per person per day. It has to be purchased within 24hours of boarding and cannot be pre purchased.

As far as unsafe ports go our worst was Senegal very different!!

Still looking at tour's, we might leave them until on the ship.

What are your plans for the UK,staying long.

Barry and Wendy

Couple more Astor questions Barry/Wendy . How is the dress code observed onboard ? We do enjoy a decent standard of dress on ships (unlike P&O Australia for example).

Power outlets in staterooms...what type (UK,AUS/NZ, etc) and volts ?

We have never bought a drinks package (Liz does not drink) on ships, I think normally you have to buy one package for everyone in your stateroom, so not worth it for us. So, user pay,s for me !

You asked about our UK time. We will arrive there from NZ 23rd Sept. The purpose , for Liz to spend her 70th with her brother in Guildford. We will also catch up with old friends and some of her family around England.

What about you guy,s. Are you holidaying -touring before the Astor ?

The last time I sailed out of Tilbury was back in the 60,s when I was in the Merchant Navy , be interesting to see the changes there. We have cruised out of Southampton in recent years and found that really good.